2008 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Good Ride
By Jamie Karakas

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2006 Ford Escape for the 2008 Ford Escape, need I say more? Awesome vehicle. New body style, gas mileage, chrome, interior/exterior design, etc.

Favorite Features

Blue lights easy on the eyes, love my 17 inch chrome wheels, keyless entry when needed, V6!

Suggested Improvements

Limited version has cruise/radio on both sides. XLT does not have that feature. Side view defrosters not available on XLT.

I Love My Escape!
By Sharon

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After buying 5-speed manual Honda cars for 30 years, I decided to look at an SUV with a 4 cyl. 5-speed manual. Honda offered automatics only in the 4 cyl., so I looked at several other makes, and the 2008 Escape was by far the best looking with many features that are standard. Cruise control and mag-type wheels were the only options I had to get. I love sitting up high and having all the cargo space. It is a dream to drive! Thanks Ford for offering the 5-speed manual transmission!

Favorite Features

Love the outside and inside styling, cool blue dash lights, short-throw 5- speed stick shifter in the console and smooth clutch. Great ride, good handling and very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

No privacy glass offered in the 5- speed; had to get windows tinted. No choice for interior colors. Steering wheel and carpet in back cargo area are light colors which will show the dirt. Have to remove headrests when folding down seats; no convenient space to store them. Would like assist bars.

A mini Navigator
By busch

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We needed a vehilce with some soft roading ability, better ground clearance, and all wheel drive. I did not expect such a high level of options, fit and finish and feel. The Escape is very comfortable and quiet, and feels like much more vehicle than it really is, that is until you need to park, then it shows its size by making parking very easy. I am averaging 25 mpg. and getting 30 mpg on the highway, and thats with only 700 miles on it. I can see why Ford has sold one million of these cars, and with the new improvements, should sell many more.

Favorite Features

Stlyling, fit and finish, dual climate control, reverse sensor, 4x4, leather seats, chrome package. Big truck feel, with small car advantages.

Suggested Improvements

Trailer towing package has no transmission cooler, no trailer brake wiring, Ford suggests changing differential oil to synthetic if pulling a trailer, should this not be part of the trailer towing package?

Dreamgirls' Chariot
By Airekah

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased my beautiful Lt Sage Escape this past Monday and I am in heaven! Upgrading from a 01 Kia Sportage to this is surreal to me. The dealer made my purchasing experience totally problem free. I love everything about the Escape. I got the chrome package and I am enjoying the "second looks" My 5 year old son looks like a little prince in his back seat. The moonroof is awesome and the roominess is great! Being only 4'9, I feel so tall :O) especially when I adjust the seat. I really like the information center that tells you how many miles you have left before you get to "E" and the fact that the car lets you know when it needs servicing. I am sold on the Fords now :O)

Suggested Improvements

Improving gas mileage.

Can't Cruise Around All You Want
By allysmom

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love this SUV! This is my first vehicle purchase. I was driving a '93 Suburban, and this is a great improvement! Great gas mileage, love the interior. Only problems I have had, was, I wasn't aware you needed to ask if a vehicle came with cruise control, I just thought it was a standard feature. I mean, it came with the Stability Control System, but no cruise control. That would have been a selling point for me. Also I was sold the vehicle as a 6 CD player, but it is only a single, no biggie, but why the need for a load button if you can only do one CD at a time?

Favorite Features

Interior, exterior, very roomy. All the airbags are quite nice.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control in all cars, I mean, why not? Also - there's no need for a load button if it's not a multiple CD player.

Wow! This is a Ford?
By Longhorn

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The wife and I traded in my awesome '05 Japanese sedan for an '08 Escape. We wanted more safety features, ground clearance, and comfort for a similar car payment. I thought I was sacrificing quality and performance, but the Escape blew my wife and I away. We love driving it everywhere and get great comments from family members who own larger SUV's (both foreign and domestic). I was used to the more powerful 2.5L from the sedan but a quick air filter change to a higher performance filter fixed me right up.

Favorite Features

Interior fit and finish, exterior bold looks, wheels, remote keyless entry built into the key, center console, MP3 jack, fuel efficiency

Suggested Improvements

Performance upgrade on 2.3L engine (variable valve timing, 5-speed auto transmission, etc.)

Great Ride!
By Chicago

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first SUV and I love it! It's roomy, smooth and quiet ride, nice display, great sound system, everything that I wanted plus more at a great price. Size looks bigger than it really is. I was eyeing the CR-V for 9 months and then looked at the RAV4 - couldn't push myself into purchasing one. I think the 2008 Escape beats them both! The Escape was equipped with everything I wanted - many were standard. CR-V would need to add so many options which should be standard. I'm happy I held off. I rode in a 2007 Escape as a loaner and there is a huge difference in ride, noise, comfort, steering, display, and many other features. I just hit 1300 miles and and up to 19.2 mpg.

Favorite Features

AWD, height, size, room, handling, bump absorption, sound system, overall drive.

Suggested Improvements

Handles to assist short people when entering/exiting the vehicle. Increase from a 4 to 5 or 6 speed. Increase hp and mileage. Make 17" tires standard, eliminate rear drum brakes. Also, the brochure doesn't list brake assist or brake force distribution - SUV should be equipped with this.

Great Vehicle at a Great Price!
By Tom Rooks

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

To date I have 1200 miles on the Escape and have not had, as excepted, a single problem. I use the car primarily as a means to get to work and for the usual weekend project stuff. Overall I am very impressed with the car and am averaging 23.0 mpg (big Texas city driving: 40% highway, 60% city). I also really like the Sirius radio, but was disappointed to learn that there are still the occasional commercials. Also when you go under an over-pass, or in a tunnel, you loose the satellite signal due to a line-of slight limitation. One thing I will pass on is that you need to be careful when folding down the rear sets if you have the leather interiors as the seat belt receptacle tends to

Favorite Features

Handling characteristics, acceleration and roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality interior controls. Better mileage. Make it easier to fold down the rear seats.

A large step down
By Kimberly

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After owning an Explorer, I decided to move down to the Escape. Over all I was unimpressed. I expected more from a Ford SUV and loved my Explorer. I wanted something a bit smaller and was hoping it would handle slightly better. What I ended up with was a lot less room, and an SUV built for someone who could not afford a real one. I would not reccomend this to my friends.

Favorite Features

Like all other Fords, the brakes are very responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to handle a bit tighter for its size.

Brake Noise?
By flnycus

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new '08 Escape. It looks great, itís fast and spacious. Gas mileage in the city has been about 19.8-21mpg. Excellent smooth ride on long trips. We have done 3500 miles in it. One problem - the rear makes a "rocking" noise when the vehicle is just about to stop. The dealer has it for a 2nd time and cant work out what it is? The rear brakes grind when you press the pedal when in P or N. Has anyone else had this problem? Very annoying! I may have a lemon? They should have put 4 disc brakes instead. Overall I love the SUV but this problem is driving me crazy. To date they have replaced the mirror motor on the drivers side, replaced a broken seal on the rear brakes and the left axle!

Favorite Features

Interior. Exterior styling. Great to drive on the freeway, very smooth and enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the drum brakes!