Used 2008 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great MPG in a SUV
By Alan Koff

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It was time to look for a vehicle with better gas mileage while providing my first priority, roominess! My 2006 Grand Cherokee, my third, only got 15.5 MPG around town, about 75% of my driving. I need room and a hard rear floor for scuba tanks, coolers, spearguns, golf clubs, telescopes and, oh yeh, business samples. Also, I'm 6'3" and the new Ford Escape fit as well on me as my much thirstier Grand Cherokee. I mentioned I was looking for much improved mileage, so when I saw this Vista Blue 5-speed I said let's take a test-drive. A winner in terms of what I was looking for. Sold! My first tank averaged out to 22.8 MPG and I probably did only 20% highway. Very pleased.

Favorite Features

Styling and value. Roominess and economy. Vista Blue, used to have an Electron Blue Vette. Hard floor in rear for heavy gear like scuba tanks.

Suggested Improvements

Rear disks. Back seat should fold flat without going to an upgrade package, but I can live with that, my dog seems fine with it.

Saving gas
By Saving gas

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded one of our 8 cyl rucks for this vehicle. Couldn't be happier. Great SUV. Wanted the truck feel when we traded. Tried the car, but just couldn't do it when you were used to a truck.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage in city average 21.8 not too bad

Suggested Improvements

None to think of right now

It doesn't stand for fix or repair daily
By MoRich

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I thought I would never go back to American made cars again. I had a 2001 CRV until the trans died a few months ago. The Escape is rugged looking, sits higher, has a very smooth ride and fun to drive. It has a lot of interior room. Lots of head room and a quiet ride. Love the crome grill and the the keyless doors and back latch. Just gettting 18 MPG in city so far. Also brakes are a bit soft. Hope that will improve. Really enjoying the car.

Favorite Features

MP3 plug, chrome grille, keyless opener, handling, sits higher.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger glove compartment, shorter radio atenna, Wish all interior was grey, not grey and tan.

Manual Transmission Rocks!
By aet

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After a week and a half I'm very impressed. If Mazda had had the right colors I would have had a Tribute because I really enjoyed my 05 Lapis Lasuli blue one - but a tree fell on it while I was driving. So the Escape's exterior color and other features were attractive. It has more room than some compact SUVs. The 5 speed manual really makes it perk up performance wise and I think the combination of 4cyl and manual will save me a little gas money. I just feel more in control of the car with manual. I'm waiting to see if the standard tires Continental Crosstrac wear out as fast as they did on my Tribute - 30,000 miles even with servicing.

Favorite Features

Color - vista blue metallic steering wheel position is very comfortable flip over rear cargo mat - rubber on the back. Roomy storage compartment between front seats

Suggested Improvements

Make the automatic headlight shutoff standard on all models. Make privacy windows standard on all models. Make full size spare tire standard on all models Fuel cap cover should have a release in the vehicle

What a great vehicle!
By JENMAC

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I turned in my 5 sp manual 98 Explorer Sport for the new 5 sp manual 08 Escape and I love it. The ride is comfy, the gas mileage is great (22-28 mpg) and best of all I can plug in my iPod. It is a fun and safe car to drive with plenty of room for my friends. It is a great car for road trips and vacations.

Favorite Features

The manual transmission. It is getting harder to find SUVs with one and this is a must have feature for me. The Escape's manual transmission is smooth, easy to shift and a real pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any!