Used 2008 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Transmission Cooler
By CT

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford knows that the transmission coolers on this particular SUV are failing prematurely. If you are lucky, it fails before 36k miles. If not, you are stuck with the bill. They will not recall. They will not stand behind the product. No more Fords for me.

Recall the car, compensate those who already lost the mileage lottery, and stand behind your product. Don't make us shop for Honda CRVs.

My 1st SUV
By Sharon

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first Certified Used car purchase was to be my daily driver for Winter. The weekend I brought her home, Winter reared it's ugly head. Day two we had an ice storm and from that point forward, it was lots of snow, 25 below zero temps and the worst winter Chicago has seen in 25 years. My Escape handled the snow very well, started right up in the way below zero temps and was very reliable. I have had her only 7 months now, no problems and 26K on the speedometer. I'll be back next year for an update.

Nice sized SUV for me, ipod hook up, nice console layout. Easy to steer.

Rate highly
By Lou

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fleet car that I have been able to drive for close to two years. 33K since Nov 2007. I have had to bring it in to FORD Dealers fr oscheduled maintenance per fleet terms and have had only one issue with a wire that needed to be replaced for the AWD ESC sensors. Other than that no mechanical issues. Great in the winter snow. Good visibility. A pleasure to drive.

Only knock is what seems to be an inordinate of roadspray kicked up on the back windshield in rain and snow. Maybe that would be solved by rear mudflaps.

Best all around SUV
By Clayton

2008 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I don't understand why all the bad reviews, I bought this used in Nov 08. My oil cooler lines also went, I was told at the time that it's a common problem with the Escapes, but mine was fixed under warranty in a day. Lots of room for 4 people, great gas milage, enough pep for me for an SUV, these are not made to win races. I did add a K&N air filter and got more horsepower and better milage.

Leather interior, back up sensor, Sirius, auto head lights, sun roof, great sounding system

Make Sirius radio more user friendly like the window attachments you can buy.

Escape after 2 years.
By Mike

2008 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in April 07, 3.0L Limited model with all options except Nav package. An exhaust manifold stud broke off in early 09, very lucky to find it on the garage floor! No mechanical problems with it so far at 38k. Brakes and tires will be replaced soon. I did buy an extended warranty for this vehicle, since my faith in Ford was not that good. They probably will never be able to match Honda, Toyota reliability/quality. Too bad. Interior quality like most US brands is poor, leather is paper thin and painted surfaces are not durable at all. Replaced battery with an Optima for security since my wife drives this car. If the powertrain lasts until 125k I will be very happy....

Solid ride, no rattles and tracks good on the highway. Heated seats and dash lighting are nice features.

Paint/clearcoat is very soft, everything seems to chip it! Ford needs to use better quality interior materials to compete with imports.