2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Perfect Work Vehicle
By jwappraisal on 01/15/08 11:58 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After gas prices went over $3.00 a gallon, it was time to trade in the 2006 F150 V8 (16-18mpg) for something with better mpg. I use my vehicle for work and travel quite a bit so gas prices are very important. My 2008 Escape is getting 23-26 mpg and is saving me a bundle on gas.

Brakes that go "pop"
By Jennifer on 01/12/08 12:19 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape in June and have 17000 miles on it already. I love the style and all the features outside and in. But.... the brakes make this awful popping noise every time they get hot. I have taken it to the shop 5 times for repairs. The shop had replaced every bit of the back end, yet they still pop. We brought it to the attention of the manufacturer and the engineers said this "was a normal variation of the vehicle and it does not affect braking performance". Funny thing, they can't identify what is making the noise so how they know it's not affecting brake performance? .your guess is as good as mine. This is my first and last Ford. It's cute and roomy but I can't trust it will last.

Tons of Fun
By BevAnn on 01/07/08 10:34 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I intended to buy a used 2006 Escape, but Hubby saw this one and was hooked. Has every available option from Ford. Very happy with that. Quick and snappy, can park anywhere. Just a lot of fun to drive. Great sound system. We looked at mid-sized SUV's but decided we wanted something smaller and this fits the bill. Lots of power. Weather has been bad nearly since purchase and I drive in AWD a lot, plus with zero degree weather or below, longer warm up periods are required so I am not seeing the great fuel mileage people are talking about. (17 mpg) I hope that chances with the weather conditions. Overall very pleased.

'08 Escape
By RaiderJoe on 12/26/07 23:49 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Great looking car for the money. Drives great, lots of room when 2nd row is folded flat. Great gas mileage for a gas only engine (26 mpg average!).

Loving the new Escape!
By Jamie on 12/18/07 13:02 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased my new 2008 XLT Escape last week and am loving it! The newer body style is what peaked my interest at first-not a huge fan of the older looks. I decided on a nicely loaded Escape over a standard Edge. I am very happy. The interior is different from what I've had in the past, but took no time to get used to. I love the satellite. Very room and clean interior. Sunroof is nice and big. So far the FWD with traction has done well in some higher snow for me. The drive feels great and so far gas mileage is good. I love the convenience package features as well. I got the Kiwi Green color and absolutely love it, everyone notices and likes it. I am very happy with my Escape

Staying with a winner
By back for more on 12/14/07 17:27 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Escape, got hooked on the interior roominess (at 6'4" its a primary concern). Love the handleability of FWD in the ice and snow while still getting a smooth ride on dry roads. One complaint, the cruise control creeps up in hilly interstate driving. Both of our Escapes can gain 3 to 5 mph when going up hill and then it stays there after cresting. Overall it's a great auto.

Escape Just Gets Better
By VV on 12/12/07 11:15 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my Escape 2005 for the new styled 08. Escape just gets better, in comfort, ride, quiteness, handling, and style. I have the moon roof w/satellite Autophile Stereo and this is worth the upgrade. Concerned with the factory installed Continental Tires. Had them on 05' with alot of road noise. So far, this is no issue. This Escape is just fun to drive and own! No complaints with either the 05' and now the new 08'. Thanks Ford!

A comfortable, peppy, fun-to-drive car
By Tom on 12/08/07 23:02 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After having driven sporty cars (last car a Mustang) for most of my life and having read your review I was expecting something much more pedestrian than the Escape turned out to be. It was comfortable from the get-go, handles very well and accelerates smartly. It is not choppy riding (try comparing it to a Focus SVT). Friends have commented on how smooth the ride is and how comfortable the car is. The power steering is well-balanced but could do with a bit less assist. I do not find any problem with the braking nor with gentle acceleration. Fuel economy is decent--not horrible but not super. In my case I use a gallon more fuel per week than I used to with my Mustang.

Nice change
By Peg on 11/26/07 11:21 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Escape almost 4 weeks, and have put on 2400 miles already. The ride is comfortable with lots of room for passengers. Gas mileage not too bad for a 6 cyl., I'm averaging 21.4 mpg and that is mostly highway driving. Traded my 2005 Outback, miss the heated seats, heated mirrors, and lumbar support.

Small ute with a big attitude
By Rick on 11/25/07 08:38 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

So far we put over 6K miles on our 08' Escape. We absolutely love it! It has been the perfect replacement to our aged gas loving Astro van. Geting the EPA rated MPG. For a I4 FWD we have taken it to some bad roads and some mud and it handles it with no problem. It makes you fell like your in a Explorer. It's on the slow side with the I4. We clocked it a around 10-11.5 seconds to 60. We only had one problem. A weld in the gas tank. (baffle) broke and was causing an quite squeak. The dealer replaced it under warranty and gave us a free oil change in less then 5 hours! This car turned a GM family in to Ford buyers for life if we continue to be pleased.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.