Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Transmission Cooler - Again!
By lacynic

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Ford Escape in Jan 2009 used. I never had a problem with it until Nov 2011 when I had to pay $900 for a new transmission cooler. Come to find out Ford had a recall on this until Aug 2010 and I was never notified! After calling Ford repeatedly they were no help at all! Today is Jan 17, 2012 - my car is back in the shop for the same problem! Way to go Ford for backing up their customers! Last Ford I will own. Getting it fixed and selling it for a different brand!

Suggested Improvements

The seats are made of recycled bottles and stain like crazy. Fix the seats and fix the transmission cooler. Back up your customers!

It Stinks!
By Kohkum

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are new customers to ford vehicles and will never again purchase another! Ever!!! Every time we get this vehicle on the road we have to wear masks over our faces. The catalytic converter (we are told by the dealership) has a problem that we/they are unable to alter. Everytime this vehicle accelerates the smell insde the vehicle almost makes you dizzy. It smells like cooked S_it! The season does not diminish the degree of smell except that winter seems to augment it when we are driving on snow covered roads. Apparently no one lese has this trouble!If you have encountered this problem, please drop us a line and let us know how it was rectified if it was even rectified. Sad and Sorry Owners

Favorite Features

the heated seats and the look of the dash, that's IT!

Suggested Improvements

Figure out how to match the size of the catalytic converter to the engine or the acceleration output so there is NO smell inside the vehicle!

Beware of Ford Escape, Beware!
By ahwilson

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape in August 2007, and about 8 days after purchase the accelerator cable line broke. The dealer chose to repair the care, even though I expressed concern and worry about keeping the car. I immediately notified National Highway Safety. The dealer could not explain the malfunction. Cable line broke again at about 15,000 miles. This car has multiple problems. Windows freeze, and won't roll up..even in summer. The fabric seats stains very quickly and car offered cleaning of seats and carpet for additional. Every time I presented it for cleaning, the dealer never had appropriate staff. This add-on cost is a rip off. The keys to car wear down. I hate it!

Do Not Buy
By jennifer56

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since July 2008, I bought it brand new off the lot. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. It has had major problems with the door locks, the back hatch window opening randomly while driving, tie rods, breaks- 4 sets in 4 years, air conditioning, doors not locking then locking me in randomly. Loud noises while driving which supossedly can be fixed with a hot oil flush. I can't wait til it is paid off, I plan to sell it and never buy another ford again. Dealing with Fords incompitant employees is another problem I will not miss. Problem after problem after problem.

Stop Safely now
By josephcallendr

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my parents 2008 ford escape hybrid for the past 6 months twice i have had the problem where a lights comes on and on the dashboard it says to stop safely now and the engine huts off and i have to coast to the side of the road and turn the car on and off again it is really scary and not safe when that happens

Favorite Features

great gas