Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Not all it's cracked up to be!
By dana

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After trying to find the good in it, I have come up with nothing. I am a previous Toyota owner, and I feel very short-changed by the Escape. The inside is very cheap. The apolstery irritates my legs, shows every single water spot, and the foam is hard as a rock. Overall, the interior looks like a 6 year old designed it. When I am on the highway, the engine noise makes it sound like a semi-truck from the inside. Also, I know I have a 4 cylinder, but I can't do more than 20mph uphill, unless I gun it. Then at that point, the engine sounds like it is going to fall out. They should not even make a 4cyl. I do like its auxilary jack for my iPod

Favorite Features

Aux. Jack Cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Don't make a 4cyl Highway engine noise Seats - apolostery and foam Handles above doors Lights/storage b/t visors Poor high beams Windshield is always foggy no matter what.

Transmission Leak
By unhappyfordowner

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Took my 08 escape in today and was told the ac condenser was broke and that was why my transmission fluid was leaking. Have an 8 year warrenty on this car and ofcourse this problem is not cover because it is not part of the drive train. So now its costing me 500 dollars to fix it plus 40 to be told what the problem is. I am not happy at all with ford, if they know this is going on and not doing anything about it they are pretty much screwing us on purpose. I will keep my car but not sure I will buy another.

Favorite Features

4x4 wheel drive mp3 hook up

Suggested Improvements

fix the transmission problem so people dont have to pay 500 dollars to fix it

Recall Bad Tranny Coolers in '08 Escapes!
By Sharon

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

A local auto repair shop just told me my 2008 Escape's transmission cooler is leaking and has been for a long time. Since purchased, I've taken it to the Ford dealership where I bought it for servicing and they never mentioned this problem. This same dealership said the extended warranty expired 600 miles ago and they can't cover the repair. The dealership is asking almost $600 to repair it. I see other '08 Escape tranny cooler problems on this site. Ford needs to fix this problem. Though a loyal Ford customer for years, I will no longer be buying a Ford if the company can't replace a repeatedly defective part.

Intercooler/transmission
By Inner Cooler

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 08 Escape new. I love my Escape but noticed that it was having a hard time taking off so it reved up and then slammed into take off mode. I took it in today and they told me that there was a leak in the intercooler leaking transmission fluid. And now I've read other reviews that say they have had the same problem....should there be a total recall, should we all get new cars to replace these that are defective. I've only had my car 1yr and a half!!!!!

Favorite Features

spacious, nice drive, color, fabric/interior.

1 Year
By Mz.Marina

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my escape a year ago. Have put extensive miles on it without any problems whatsoever. Only regular maintenance which is key to maintaining a vehicle. Will keep an eye on the tranny after reading these reviews...but other than that cute fun suv.

Favorite Features

Exterior, cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Better materials for seating, and the 40/60 seats are inconvenient.