Used 2008 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Do Not Buy
By jennifer56

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since July 2008, I bought it brand new off the lot. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. It has had major problems with the door locks, the back hatch window opening randomly while driving, tie rods, breaks- 4 sets in 4 years, air conditioning, doors not locking then locking me in randomly. Loud noises while driving which supossedly can be fixed with a hot oil flush. I can't wait til it is paid off, I plan to sell it and never buy another ford again. Dealing with Fords incompitant employees is another problem I will not miss. Problem after problem after problem.

Ford XLT
By csylv

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Escape used a year ago. Yes it had the faulty transmission pump already replaced. It is definitely not the most comfortable ride on the highway. My butt usually goes numb, but in-city driving is easy. The seat is powered on the driver's side helping me gain some more height (I'm only 5'6 making seeing over the steering wheel difficult in large vehicles). The controls are easy to figure out and are large enough that my monkey fingers can get control. This version does lack the Ford Sync of the newer vehicles but still has an audio jack. In town handling is easy but at higher speeds it is a bit of a challenge but has the stability control to help you out.

Favorite Features

My favorite aspects are the power driver seat, sun roof, CD player and audio jack, plenty of space in the back to carry large items. I also like the in-town handling. It is still easy for me to maneuver around other vehicles and stop and go easily. I'm not too worried about the back seat because most of the time I am by myself.

Suggested Improvements

Improved long distance traveling comfort. The seats are hard and do cause a bit of a problem. The road noise inside is really loud on long drives as well. I would like to see more air vents to cool/ heat the vehicle since there are only 4 in the front of my Escape. I would also like to see the parking brake moved up since I have a difficult time reaching it. Reconfiguring the back seat not to have the 3 head rests. I no longer have the center one which is okay because I would not be able to see behind me.

2008 FORD ESCAPE TRANSMISSION LEAK
By mjk13

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford has changed and the corporation is focused on $$$$$ and NOT the consumer. Read reviews on the internet- they are EVERYWHERE. I just got screwed by Ford on a recall that they will no longer honor. Called Customer Service and they said to will cost $800.00! READ before you buy. I never would have said this before today, but I'm now looking at a Toyota or Nissan. It's too bad Ford has gone the way and we are forced to buy non-American products. FORD you should be ashamed of what you have turned into.

Favorite Features

I have owned a Ford for the last 12 years. I purchased a new 1999 F150 4X4, a new 2006 F150 Supercab and the 2008 Escape. I have recenly learned that Ford no longer is honorable and will not stand by their vehicles. Read Ford reviews first. I have ALWAYS bought American vehicles before and I hope to find a nice Chevy. I called my Father in Law and discussed it with him. He worked for Ford for alomost 40years. He replyed that, thats not how Ford used to be. Please do your research. Ford Customer Service is no longer geared to assist the consumer. It's all about the $$$$ to them. Read before you buy. Be careful dealing with Ford.

Suggested Improvements

WARNING ****DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!***** They will not stand behind their product. They hide "recalls" inside what they refer to as "Customer Satisfaction Programs". They admitted that the part installed (transmision fluid cooler) was defective. Program 09B10 was deployed but if you miss it, for what ever reason, you lose- even though they admit the part is defective. To have it fixed-$800.00. I called all the way up to Ford Corp. 1-800-392-3673 and they also admitted that it doesn't seem fair but the Customer Satidfaction Program for that part is over. Non-American, Warning ***DO NOT BUY A FORD!! Please search the internet to verify the information!

Ford Escape Issues
By cmclove3

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

First and Foremost...the seats are horrible with just water they stain right away..had to buy seat covers because the backseat looked horrible..I had to bring it on on a Recall and sure enough I had nothing wrong with it...within a week the actuator of one of the Door locks was not working and now the Cruise Control is not working and it is not the Fuse because I replaced that..from an insider who I know works for the Service Dept at the same Ford Dealership advised me that when you bring your suv/car in for repair..they do things so that you have to bring it in again...I can not confirm that they deactivated my cruise control and it is now out of warranty..Soo sad they can't be trusted

Favorite Features

The Style of the Ford Escape and Keyless Entry

Suggested Improvements

The Seats and the location of the Cruise Control..also having Ford Dealership Service Dept that will not ruin another feature that requires you to bring it in for servicing so that they can make money off of you...need a Trustworthy company to do the job right...they deactivated my Actuator for a Door Lock and thankfully it was under Warranty, but not happy that I come to find through a Ford Employee that they do things on purpose so that you have to bring the vehicle back for servicing so they can make money off of you..I do not have a functioning Cruise Control and afraid to go back for it to be fixed..I replaced the Fuse and it is definitely not that..

The Biggest Nightmare I Have Ever Faced
By ken1053

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a really nice car to drive around, especially having a workplace full of BMWs and Audis. I liked the comfort of the cloth seats and the interior design. One thing I absolutely hated is the reliability. My car is only 2 years old (I bought it in 10/08) and it is the most unreliable thing I ever faced. The car shifts very roughly into gear and the car lurches itself forward. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the gas or with the transmission coolant recall... I absolutely hate that car now. It can't keep the value and if you did get into an accident with this car (airbags deployed) you will not like the fact that it is 10x more of a bumpier ride. I regret getting this car..

Favorite Features

Interior design, fun to drive, exterior design, comfort of seats, cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Reliability *which is one of the worst now*, build quality *in which they should make the car sustain a 25 MPH impact (airbags deployed) (*examples are: smooth ride, less noisier engine*), transmission, price needs to be modified (I could get a Hyundai Tuscon for $4,000 less than what I paid for my Escape), less expensive parts on the car