2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Worse MPG than my '97 Explorer!
By ShadowVFX on 03/07/09 12:27 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My family and I have owned Ford vehicles for over a decade now and all of us have been pleased with our vehicles. Recently, when it was time for me to purchase a new car, I looked to the Ford Escapes to replace my beloved '97 Ford Explorer. I ended up purchasing a 4 cylinder '08 Escape and I must say, I have not been impressed with it. I bought this car as a fuel-efficient replacement to my '97 Explorer. What I found was that my new '08 Escape actually less fuel efficient than my older Explorer, which was made over a decade earlier. I was so impressed with my '97 Explorer that it blinded me into a brand loyalty towards Ford. But now after buying this new, smaller,

Not bad for 1st SUV
By Dreama on 01/08/09 08:11 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For my first ride, this Escape is a choice I have yet to regret. I got it more for safety (for my child), but the design (both interior and exterior) caught my eye from the start. I wish the engine had a little more bite, especially since it's mated with a 5-speed manual, but its not too bad nonetheless. It was worth the money I paid.

Great crossover OK price
By lenny on 09/04/08 15:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far it's one of the better crossovers I've driven. Rides a little hard but if you want soft buy a car. MPG is excellent so far about 28 average (I drive about half and half city and highway with and without ac.) Lots of little storage pockets. Don't care for the light switch being down by my knee. Lots of room I'm 6,4" and a big guy and I'm comfortable. Radio buttons take some getting used to as do AC controls not bad just different. Wish I had gotten the 09 more power

Can't go wrong with this one!
By Pablo Suarez on 08/09/08 16:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in the automobile industry for over 30 years and after living in three continents and after owning Hillmans, Opels, Fiats, Citro├źns, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Mopars (Chryslers), GMs, and Fords, I can say that this SUV is the most satisfying vehicle I have owned so far. It meets all my current needs almost perfectly. It is the right size for me, fit and finish are great, it is quiet, performance, for a 4 cyl SUV, is brilliant, it has all the right features and it averages 24 MPG in the city and 29 MPG in the highway. If you are on the market for a small SUV, go ahead and test drive them all, you cannot go wrong with this one!

Gas Saving SUV
By Nette on 07/30/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Trouble free so far in its first 2K miles and 12 hour trip to California. Perfect fit and function for an active family. Nice size cargo space and if needed roof rack is ready for extra cargo. The SUV is not a speed demon, but I have been averaging 28 MPG. I love the fact that I climb in and out the SUV vs. crawl in and out. Loading the baby into the car seat is comfortable since I can stay standing while I buckle him into his car seat. I would highly recommend my SUV to anyone.

Great MPG in a SUV
By Alan Koff on 07/14/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It was time to look for a vehicle with better gas mileage while providing my first priority, roominess! My 2006 Grand Cherokee, my third, only got 15.5 MPG around town, about 75% of my driving. I need room and a hard rear floor for scuba tanks, coolers, spearguns, golf clubs, telescopes and, oh yeh, business samples. Also, I'm 6'3" and the new Ford Escape fit as well on me as my much thirstier Grand Cherokee. I mentioned I was looking for much improved mileage, so when I saw this Vista Blue 5-speed I said let's take a test-drive. A winner in terms of what I was looking for. Sold! My first tank averaged out to 22.8 MPG and I probably did only 20% highway. Very pleased.

Saving gas
By Saving gas on 06/15/08 16:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded one of our 8 cyl rucks for this vehicle. Couldn't be happier. Great SUV. Wanted the truck feel when we traded. Tried the car, but just couldn't do it when you were used to a truck.

It doesn't stand for fix or repair daily
By MoRich on 04/04/08 10:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I thought I would never go back to American made cars again. I had a 2001 CRV until the trans died a few months ago. The Escape is rugged looking, sits higher, has a very smooth ride and fun to drive. It has a lot of interior room. Lots of head room and a quiet ride. Love the crome grill and the the keyless doors and back latch. Just gettting 18 MPG in city so far. Also brakes are a bit soft. Hope that will improve. Really enjoying the car.

Manual Transmission Rocks!
By aet on 03/26/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After a week and a half I'm very impressed. If Mazda had had the right colors I would have had a Tribute because I really enjoyed my 05 Lapis Lasuli blue one - but a tree fell on it while I was driving. So the Escape's exterior color and other features were attractive. It has more room than some compact SUVs. The 5 speed manual really makes it perk up performance wise and I think the combination of 4cyl and manual will save me a little gas money. I just feel more in control of the car with manual. I'm waiting to see if the standard tires Continental Crosstrac wear out as fast as they did on my Tribute - 30,000 miles even with servicing.

What a great vehicle!
By JENMAC on 03/06/08 14:36 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I turned in my 5 sp manual 98 Explorer Sport for the new 5 sp manual 08 Escape and I love it. The ride is comfy, the gas mileage is great (22-28 mpg) and best of all I can plug in my iPod. It is a fun and safe car to drive with plenty of room for my friends. It is a great car for road trips and vacations.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$86 per month*