Used 2008 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Worse MPG than my '97 Explorer!
By ShadowVFX

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My family and I have owned Ford vehicles for over a decade now and all of us have been pleased with our vehicles. Recently, when it was time for me to purchase a new car, I looked to the Ford Escapes to replace my beloved '97 Ford Explorer. I ended up purchasing a 4 cylinder '08 Escape and I must say, I have not been impressed with it. I bought this car as a fuel-efficient replacement to my '97 Explorer. What I found was that my new '08 Escape actually less fuel efficient than my older Explorer, which was made over a decade earlier. I was so impressed with my '97 Explorer that it blinded me into a brand loyalty towards Ford. But now after buying this new, smaller,

Built-in MP3 CD player.

I'm 6'7" and I'm sick of cars skimping on the leg room. In vehicles of this size, the ability to move the seat back another 3" should be no-brainer and would make it a perfect fit for a tall guy like me.

Not bad for 1st SUV
By Dreama

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For my first ride, this Escape is a choice I have yet to regret. I got it more for safety (for my child), but the design (both interior and exterior) caught my eye from the start. I wish the engine had a little more bite, especially since it's mated with a 5-speed manual, but its not too bad nonetheless. It was worth the money I paid.

Blue Instrument panel, standard sound system is nice, safety features are great, smooth ride

Dual brakes on all models should be standard. Bigger engine was addressed in the '09 model, but the '08 model owners are struggling

Great crossover OK price
By lenny

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far it's one of the better crossovers I've driven. Rides a little hard but if you want soft buy a car. MPG is excellent so far about 28 average (I drive about half and half city and highway with and without ac.) Lots of little storage pockets. Don't care for the light switch being down by my knee. Lots of room I'm 6,4" and a big guy and I'm comfortable. Radio buttons take some getting used to as do AC controls not bad just different. Wish I had gotten the 09 more power

Can't go wrong with this one!
By Pablo Suarez

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in the automobile industry for over 30 years and after living in three continents and after owning Hillmans, Opels, Fiats, CitroŽns, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Mopars (Chryslers), GMs, and Fords, I can say that this SUV is the most satisfying vehicle I have owned so far. It meets all my current needs almost perfectly. It is the right size for me, fit and finish are great, it is quiet, performance, for a 4 cyl SUV, is brilliant, it has all the right features and it averages 24 MPG in the city and 29 MPG in the highway. If you are on the market for a small SUV, go ahead and test drive them all, you cannot go wrong with this one!

Visibility, console, MP3 jack, great sound system, driving position, great all around!

It would be nice to have hand grips, return the emergency brake to the console (dislike the foot brake and release handle positions).

Gas Saving SUV
By Nette

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Trouble free so far in its first 2K miles and 12 hour trip to California. Perfect fit and function for an active family. Nice size cargo space and if needed roof rack is ready for extra cargo. The SUV is not a speed demon, but I have been averaging 28 MPG. I love the fact that I climb in and out the SUV vs. crawl in and out. Loading the baby into the car seat is comfortable since I can stay standing while I buckle him into his car seat. I would highly recommend my SUV to anyone.

I feel very safe traveling with my toddler with all the safety features (airbags, side airbags, canopy, ABS and carseat anchor points). Thanks for "Aux" radio connection for my iPod, walkman, and portable DVD player. Center console is huge and fits a notebook computer.

Head rest angles forward too much. Interior color is too light and shows dirt quickly, and color coordinated floor mats are hard to find. Needs a bigger glove box. Needs rear disc brakes.