Used 2008 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Good and bad with the 2008 Escape….
By Carla

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape 8 years ago. Only 85,000 miles on it at this point. Here are the facts: What I have had to have fixed: since new, Liftgate rattled: numerous trips/replacement by dealership. Ford engineer stumped. Put duct tape around the too-small latch pin and it rattles no more. Automatic part of dome light quit. Replaced once, then quit again. Left it that way. Waterpump needed replaced at 75,000 miles. Control arm starting to come loose at 75,000 miles. Replaced battery and tires once. Now I have a small oil leak starting at 85,000 miles. Was told that this year of Escape is notorious for leaking oil and eventually needing a $5,000 repair to head gasket to fix. Advised me to continue to drive it the way it is, as the repair worth more than the car. Leak is very minimal, no low oil between changes. Seat coverings are horrible. Water even stains them, and you can't get the stains out. Dealer told me he has no idea how to get them out either. Interior and exterior rusting, even though 100% garaged and regularly cleaned/waxed. You be the judge.

Excellent vehicle
By Chase

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Ok let me say this many post reviews based on the experiences in repair shops. And a bad experience with minor things. Overall the escape is a terrific vehicle as with anything it requires maintenence and fluid changes frequently as well as filters. I only have one negative from driving on freeways. Its the moonroof noise. I pirchased a wind deflector hopefully it helps. Over all no problems as of yet recently inspected. Repairs not so bad. But it adds up if your not quick to take care of problems as soon as it rises. Play it smart

DANGEROUS TO DRIVE!
By Taylor

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My mother had purchased a brand new Ford Escape in 2008 and then gave it to me this year as my first car. I thought it would be safe to drive an SUV until the malfunctioning torque censor almost sent my boyfriend and I off the road at 75mph during our road trip across the U.S. I received a recall notice a few months before and had brought it in to fix the problem, It only took about 15 minutes and I was told everything was fine. Obviously this was NOT true and the auto repair shop we took it to in Nashville, TN emphasized it was VERY unsafe to drive and told me that they had done NOTHING when I brought it in the for the recall. We then took the car over to a Ford dealership close by and were told that it was going to cost us over $600 for something that should've been resolved under the recall. We spoke to customer service at Ford corporate and they said "their hands were tied" and they "couldn't do anything for us" because we already had it taken in for the recall. I'm extremely disappointed with how Ford handled this matter and I worry about other customers and their families if this were to happen to them too.

2008 Ford Escape XLT
By Rb_osu

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 2008 Escape new in 2007. Loved it until about last year when we started to get nickeled and dimed on repairs. To be expected of an older car I suppose. Electrical in drivers seat went out. Front end rods needed replaced. Starter was going bad. Some of the interior was also wearing. Given the years we lived out west and now in the south, I suppose the oppresive heat likely accelerated these issues as I know people who have 2004 escapes and have had none of these issues. In the end we ultimately traded it in for a bigger vehicle as we added to our family & needed the space.

Awesome small SUV!
By mmckimmey

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2008 Escape V6 AWD is awesome! It does very well in all weather conditions. The V6 is powerful, sounds good, and gets decent MPG. If you want a 4 cylinder, get a 2009. The 2.3L 4 and 4-spd in the 2008 is woeful! Overall, build quality is excellent. A few rattles here and there, but none are pervasive or persistent. Seats are great, and the ride is super smooth! Wonderful for a long trip. The electric power steering provides good feel at high speeds, and lots of assist at parking lot speeds for easy parking. Ride height is great! Just make sure to service the transmission OFTEN and keep an eye on the levels. These have a tendency to blow cooler lines.

Power, Comfort, Ease of use.

Stronger transmission, fix the small issues with panel fit inside.