2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Dangerous
By roslynr on 06/02/13 19:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

On May 24, 2013 while driving in the middle of a memorial day weekend rush hour traffic the lights came on in the dashboard and the suv, was not accelerating and just shut down , while trying to coast to the side of expressway this was impossible, I had to restart the truck. Once the suv restarted a short distance later it shut down again forcing me off the expressway. Once I made it home I called the dealership who told me to contact ford and file a complaint. My truck is a 2008 ford escape. After this email I will contact the BBB , this is dangerous to myself and others in traffic. This is a law suite waiting to happen.

Stop Safely now
By josephcallendr on 05/22/13 16:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my parents 2008 ford escape hybrid for the past 6 months twice i have had the problem where a lights comes on and on the dashboard it says to stop safely now and the engine huts off and i have to coast to the side of the road and turn the car on and off again it is really scary and not safe when that happens

First AND Last Ford
By onthehwy on 02/25/11 21:17 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first in last Ford. In the three years that I have had this SUV, the air vent fell off, the front window squeaks when let down (it was supposedly fixed), had 3 new batteries, a transmission cooler, and now my transmission has gone bad. I'm sorry but all this should NOT happen within 3 years of owning a new car. I'm going back to Toyota!

It Stinks!
By Kohkum on 02/24/10 22:06 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are new customers to ford vehicles and will never again purchase another! Ever!!! Every time we get this vehicle on the road we have to wear masks over our faces. The catalytic converter (we are told by the dealership) has a problem that we/they are unable to alter. Everytime this vehicle accelerates the smell insde the vehicle almost makes you dizzy. It smells like cooked S_it! The season does not diminish the degree of smell except that winter seems to augment it when we are driving on snow covered roads. Apparently no one lese has this trouble!If you have encountered this problem, please drop us a line and let us know how it was rectified if it was even rectified. Sad and Sorry Owners

2008 Ford Escape Transmission
By scndshot on 01/15/10 18:34 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Pitiful. Transmission failing at 34k Miles. Thankfully, just barely still under warranty. Type "2008 Ford Escape Transmission" on the internet and see the complaints. Never again...will trade in for Honda or Toyota. Driver seat power-drive also failed, as did one of the back power-windows (around 15k miles). Pitiful.

Escape after 2 years.
By Mike on 05/25/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in April 07, 3.0L Limited model with all options except Nav package. An exhaust manifold stud broke off in early 09, very lucky to find it on the garage floor! No mechanical problems with it so far at 38k. Brakes and tires will be replaced soon. I did buy an extended warranty for this vehicle, since my faith in Ford was not that good. They probably will never be able to match Honda, Toyota reliability/quality. Too bad. Interior quality like most US brands is poor, leather is paper thin and painted surfaces are not durable at all. Replaced battery with an Optima for security since my wife drives this car. If the powertrain lasts until 125k I will be very happy....

No dissapointment here
By tulsagirl on 05/14/09 16:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Escape for two years and am suprised at the negative reviews. I haven't had one problem with mine. I was actually involved in a serious accident last year and the Escape protected me. I was not injured. I do agree that they should not have put in a 4 speed tranny or used drum brakes but other than that I still love my Escape. I've had Fords all my life and only regret that I can't buy a new one every year.

Great small SUV
By JCDerrick on 02/20/09 07:14 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We do a lot of landscaping around the house so we purchased this SUV primarily to provide us a way to move larger materials around that wouldn't fit in a regular car. For that task it's a great vehicle, the fold down seats in the back (though a multi-step process) provide a lot of space that allows storage/transport of most anything. We were so impressed with the quality of the Limited package we've also used the car as our primary vehicle to drive to and from work. We've leased this vehicle, and I suspect we'll keep with the Escape next year when the lease is up. Initially we favored the fuel economy of the 4-cylinder, but after test driving both I was sold on the V6's extra power.

I Love My Escape
By Patty Fremont, Calif on 02/10/09 21:06 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Escape after owning an Explorer for many years & I love it. I did a lot of research on this vehicle and came to the conclusion that this was my Explorer but smaller & hoping that it had better gas mileage. No real problems to report as yet, except the rear brakes screech when backing up, the dealer says this is normal? I work for an auto shop & my boss would shoot us if we told a customer that! (the neighbor has a 2008 Escape too & his rear brakes do the same thing)I have a 100k warranty & still have the 36k warranty.Overall a great deal. It drives smooth, pick up could be a little better, but it is comfortable and drives very nice.

All show, no go.
By skt4271 on 10/01/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I also still own a 02 Escape XLT, so i feel my review is based on that. I have only owned the car since July new off the lot, so my experince so far is good. Compared to the 02 model, the exterior and interior are from two different worlds, but the engine is still the same. It's real slow of the line, feels like I need to press gas pedal down further to get going. Can hear the engine a little too much, much not that bad with the free 6 month Sirius subscription they give you, I can deal with it. Ford really made this one more manly to drive than the previous models.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Ford Escape in NJ is:

$199 per month*