2008 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Worse MPG than my '97 Explorer!
By ShadowVFX

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My family and I have owned Ford vehicles for over a decade now and all of us have been pleased with our vehicles. Recently, when it was time for me to purchase a new car, I looked to the Ford Escapes to replace my beloved '97 Ford Explorer. I ended up purchasing a 4 cylinder '08 Escape and I must say, I have not been impressed with it. I bought this car as a fuel-efficient replacement to my '97 Explorer. What I found was that my new '08 Escape actually less fuel efficient than my older Explorer, which was made over a decade earlier. I was so impressed with my '97 Explorer that it blinded me into a brand loyalty towards Ford. But now after buying this new, smaller,

Favorite Features

Built-in MP3 CD player.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6'7" and I'm sick of cars skimping on the leg room. In vehicles of this size, the ability to move the seat back another 3" should be no-brainer and would make it a perfect fit for a tall guy like me.

Not bad for 1st SUV
By Dreama

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For my first ride, this Escape is a choice I have yet to regret. I got it more for safety (for my child), but the design (both interior and exterior) caught my eye from the start. I wish the engine had a little more bite, especially since it's mated with a 5-speed manual, but its not too bad nonetheless. It was worth the money I paid.

Favorite Features

Blue Instrument panel, standard sound system is nice, safety features are great, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Dual brakes on all models should be standard. Bigger engine was addressed in the '09 model, but the '08 model owners are struggling

Great crossover OK price
By lenny

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far it's one of the better crossovers I've driven. Rides a little hard but if you want soft buy a car. MPG is excellent so far about 28 average (I drive about half and half city and highway with and without ac.) Lots of little storage pockets. Don't care for the light switch being down by my knee. Lots of room I'm 6,4" and a big guy and I'm comfortable. Radio buttons take some getting used to as do AC controls not bad just different. Wish I had gotten the 09 more power

Can't go wrong with this one!
By Pablo Suarez

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in the automobile industry for over 30 years and after living in three continents and after owning Hillmans, Opels, Fiats, CitroŽns, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Mopars (Chryslers), GMs, and Fords, I can say that this SUV is the most satisfying vehicle I have owned so far. It meets all my current needs almost perfectly. It is the right size for me, fit and finish are great, it is quiet, performance, for a 4 cyl SUV, is brilliant, it has all the right features and it averages 24 MPG in the city and 29 MPG in the highway. If you are on the market for a small SUV, go ahead and test drive them all, you cannot go wrong with this one!

Favorite Features

Visibility, console, MP3 jack, great sound system, driving position, great all around!

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have hand grips, return the emergency brake to the console (dislike the foot brake and release handle positions).

Gas Saving SUV
By Nette

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Trouble free so far in its first 2K miles and 12 hour trip to California. Perfect fit and function for an active family. Nice size cargo space and if needed roof rack is ready for extra cargo. The SUV is not a speed demon, but I have been averaging 28 MPG. I love the fact that I climb in and out the SUV vs. crawl in and out. Loading the baby into the car seat is comfortable since I can stay standing while I buckle him into his car seat. I would highly recommend my SUV to anyone.

Favorite Features

I feel very safe traveling with my toddler with all the safety features (airbags, side airbags, canopy, ABS and carseat anchor points). Thanks for "Aux" radio connection for my iPod, walkman, and portable DVD player. Center console is huge and fits a notebook computer.

Suggested Improvements

Head rest angles forward too much. Interior color is too light and shows dirt quickly, and color coordinated floor mats are hard to find. Needs a bigger glove box. Needs rear disc brakes.

Great MPG in a SUV
By Alan Koff

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It was time to look for a vehicle with better gas mileage while providing my first priority, roominess! My 2006 Grand Cherokee, my third, only got 15.5 MPG around town, about 75% of my driving. I need room and a hard rear floor for scuba tanks, coolers, spearguns, golf clubs, telescopes and, oh yeh, business samples. Also, I'm 6'3" and the new Ford Escape fit as well on me as my much thirstier Grand Cherokee. I mentioned I was looking for much improved mileage, so when I saw this Vista Blue 5-speed I said let's take a test-drive. A winner in terms of what I was looking for. Sold! My first tank averaged out to 22.8 MPG and I probably did only 20% highway. Very pleased.

Favorite Features

Styling and value. Roominess and economy. Vista Blue, used to have an Electron Blue Vette. Hard floor in rear for heavy gear like scuba tanks.

Suggested Improvements

Rear disks. Back seat should fold flat without going to an upgrade package, but I can live with that, my dog seems fine with it.

Saving gas
By Saving gas

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded one of our 8 cyl rucks for this vehicle. Couldn't be happier. Great SUV. Wanted the truck feel when we traded. Tried the car, but just couldn't do it when you were used to a truck.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage in city average 21.8 not too bad

Suggested Improvements

None to think of right now

It doesn't stand for fix or repair daily
By MoRich

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I thought I would never go back to American made cars again. I had a 2001 CRV until the trans died a few months ago. The Escape is rugged looking, sits higher, has a very smooth ride and fun to drive. It has a lot of interior room. Lots of head room and a quiet ride. Love the crome grill and the the keyless doors and back latch. Just gettting 18 MPG in city so far. Also brakes are a bit soft. Hope that will improve. Really enjoying the car.

Favorite Features

MP3 plug, chrome grille, keyless opener, handling, sits higher.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger glove compartment, shorter radio atenna, Wish all interior was grey, not grey and tan.

Manual Transmission Rocks!
By aet

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After a week and a half I'm very impressed. If Mazda had had the right colors I would have had a Tribute because I really enjoyed my 05 Lapis Lasuli blue one - but a tree fell on it while I was driving. So the Escape's exterior color and other features were attractive. It has more room than some compact SUVs. The 5 speed manual really makes it perk up performance wise and I think the combination of 4cyl and manual will save me a little gas money. I just feel more in control of the car with manual. I'm waiting to see if the standard tires Continental Crosstrac wear out as fast as they did on my Tribute - 30,000 miles even with servicing.

Favorite Features

Color - vista blue metallic steering wheel position is very comfortable flip over rear cargo mat - rubber on the back. Roomy storage compartment between front seats

Suggested Improvements

Make the automatic headlight shutoff standard on all models. Make privacy windows standard on all models. Make full size spare tire standard on all models Fuel cap cover should have a release in the vehicle

What a great vehicle!
By JENMAC

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I turned in my 5 sp manual 98 Explorer Sport for the new 5 sp manual 08 Escape and I love it. The ride is comfy, the gas mileage is great (22-28 mpg) and best of all I can plug in my iPod. It is a fun and safe car to drive with plenty of room for my friends. It is a great car for road trips and vacations.

Favorite Features

The manual transmission. It is getting harder to find SUVs with one and this is a must have feature for me. The Escape's manual transmission is smooth, easy to shift and a real pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any!