Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Awesome small SUV!
By mmckimmey

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2008 Escape V6 AWD is awesome! It does very well in all weather conditions. The V6 is powerful, sounds good, and gets decent MPG. If you want a 4 cylinder, get a 2009. The 2.3L 4 and 4-spd in the 2008 is woeful! Overall, build quality is excellent. A few rattles here and there, but none are pervasive or persistent. Seats are great, and the ride is super smooth! Wonderful for a long trip. The electric power steering provides good feel at high speeds, and lots of assist at parking lot speeds for easy parking. Ride height is great! Just make sure to service the transmission OFTEN and keep an eye on the levels. These have a tendency to blow cooler lines.

Favorite Features

Power, Comfort, Ease of use.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger transmission, fix the small issues with panel fit inside.

Great small family SUV
By mrjustin24

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It still had the truck styling. Too bad the new ones look like space ships. We bought it as a small, safe, family car. It completely served the purpose. It had plenty of cargo space. The seats were cloth and a rough material. Water would leave rings in the material too. However, it was reliable.

Favorite Features

Truck styling, cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Cloth interior needed work

Transmission issues
By msgomez1

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Back in 2011 my 2008 Ford Escape was found to have a cracked transmission, leaking fluid, etc. This fix was covered under the extended warranty I bought when I purchased the car. Yesterday I took the car to the dealership for transmission issues and was told my transmission was shot and its a $4000 fix. Shame on Ford for doing such a subpar 'fix' job in 2011. I did try contacting Customer Service for some financial help...what a joke...in 5 minutes they decided they could not help me unless there was a recall. BTW if you call and get a 'Dylan', just hang up, he is no help.

Terrible product, terrible customer service
By kwolff1

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2008 Escape, we were so excited to finally have what we thought was a great new car. Well that quickly turned into a nightmare. It needed a new transmission in 2013, and now the transmission is gone again. $7000 to fix!!!! Why does the transmission last only a year?? What garbage. Then on top of the product being terrible, we were treated poorly when we took it to Ford AND by the representatives we spoke to at customer service o the 1-800 number. We are taking it to Honda to trade it in like the scrap it is, and getting a car we can actually rely on!!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Great Little SUV - BUT slippery when wet
By descape1

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've only owned my Escape for 11 months, and I love almost everything about it. It has plenty or room, all seats are comfortable and it's fun to drive and easy to park. I have not had a single issue with it, except I think it might need a battery soon, but that's to be expected with any car that has 72,000 miles and temps around zero here in the Midwest. My only complaint is I didn't get the 4wd. Even with new tires, the front wheels spin at every start when it's raining or snowing. I'm getting used to the traction control light blinking at me (indicating the wheels have lost traction), but still very annoying. Maybe I have a lead foot for the amount of torque in the V6.

Favorite Features

The double hatch where the glass opens independently of the full hatch. Ride height and visibility are great. Style looks MUCH better than the new ones. Also, it tows my 10' pop-up camper with ease and without sagging. Look for models with the sunroof- love it!

Suggested Improvements

Because there's a new model (body style and engines) suggested improvements wouldn't matter, but... for readers: I suggest they look at 4wd models if they live in a snowy climate.