So far, so good
By mfish on
2007 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
With a new baby on the way, needed to trade our Silverado pickup for a more baby-friendly vehicle. Grew up with the Fords of the late 80's-early 90's and swore I wouldn't drive another Ford, but now I own one--I'm surprised at how much I like it. Opted for the 5-speed and can get up to 29 mpg on trips. The four cylinder is so quiet, I sometimes can't hear the RPMs to know when to shift (no idiot shift light to help). The engine is also very spirited that I fins myself speeding without knowing! I'm 6'5" and fit fine in back seat with front seat all the way back. Interior a little plastic-y, but I like the look better than 2008 Escape. Though I've only had it for a month, I like it.
Favorite Features
Quiet engine, peppy and fun to drive. Easy to see over the hood, and very few blind spots. Nice amount of cargo space, though I wish all Escapes came with the cargo hold in the floor.
Suggested Improvements
Foglights on XLS (Factory wiring is there) I cut holes in bumper to mount foglights, connected wiring, added factory switch (wiring there too) and now I have foglights. Automatic headlights. More options on 5-speed vehicle. Some want the economy of a manual, and the conveniences of today's vehicles.