Used 2007 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Fun little truck
By Philippe T.

2007 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

FUN little truck. No repairs since new. No complaints!

Driving experience on any type of road. Power is sufficient (man. trans.). Take little gas (4 cyl. engine)

Bigger arm rest for big guys please!

So far, so good
By mfish

2007 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

With a new baby on the way, needed to trade our Silverado pickup for a more baby-friendly vehicle. Grew up with the Fords of the late 80's-early 90's and swore I wouldn't drive another Ford, but now I own one--I'm surprised at how much I like it. Opted for the 5-speed and can get up to 29 mpg on trips. The four cylinder is so quiet, I sometimes can't hear the RPMs to know when to shift (no idiot shift light to help). The engine is also very spirited that I fins myself speeding without knowing! I'm 6'5" and fit fine in back seat with front seat all the way back. Interior a little plastic-y, but I like the look better than 2008 Escape. Though I've only had it for a month, I like it.

Quiet engine, peppy and fun to drive. Easy to see over the hood, and very few blind spots. Nice amount of cargo space, though I wish all Escapes came with the cargo hold in the floor.

Foglights on XLS (Factory wiring is there) I cut holes in bumper to mount foglights, connected wiring, added factory switch (wiring there too) and now I have foglights. Automatic headlights. More options on 5-speed vehicle. Some want the economy of a manual, and the conveniences of today's vehicles.

Smart Purchase
By John

2007 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Escape under protest. Traded in my Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi to shut up my wife. Got tired of hearing about the high cost of ownership. Well, I should listen to my wife more often. Not as macho as a hemi but cut my expenses in half (payment, gas, insurance). Fun to drive and easier to park. I bought it with a stick shift to spite my wife. Didn't work. She thinks it's fun to drive too. If gas hits $5 a gallon, I'm ready.

Well thought out and easy to operate.

Power seats on base model.

Brakes
By Bruce

2007 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am satisfied with my new Ford Explorer, but every time I step on and off the brake pedal, I get a clunking noise. The mechanic at the dealership said this was normal for this model. I don't like the clunking, but apparently there is nothing I can do about it. Anyone else having this problem?

Stereo sounds good. Lots of bass. Enough for me, anyway.

Get rid of the clunking noise in the brakes. Also, the acceleration is good, but the automatic transmission can be a little choppy at times.