2007 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2007 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

I love my ford
By skl333

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a used escape with 3 previous owners I have had it for over a year and a half . The gas mile is as good as my Camry had I average around 24 mpg .I have yet to have any big problems with this vehicle I had a window regulator go out and some mild problems with the cd player when the vehicle has been sitting for a few hours in cold conditions. Its sturdy and easy to navigate while being large enough that the big trucks on the road wont block your visions when trying to make turns or backing out of a parking space. its currently at 117,000 miles and running strong.

Favorite Features

6 disk CD player satellite radio large backseat and a large cargo. when the back seats are put down you can fit a full sized mattress in the back.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest adding AWD to all of these models much like the Toyota rav4 has. Defiantly put in better cup holders in the back the plastic rings are crap.(put a can in mine turned a corner and now I have a large red stain on my floor boards)

Excessive tire wear and very noisy
By monirol

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my XLT in December 2006 and loved it until about 35,000 miles. I began to notice a lot of road noise from the tires due to excessive wear and "cupping" on the outside of the tires. Once I replaced the original continental contitrac tires with general tires and did a 4-wheel alignment the problem was resolved and it was nice and quiet. However, at about 30K miles on the new tires the noise began again. Despite rotating tires every 5K the problem persists and the tires/road noise returned. I really like this vehicle but this noise just kills me.

Favorite Features

Interior room, acceleration, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tire/road noise issue. Quiet the cabin.

Will never get another Ford product
By dab1983

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased brand new with 11 miles on it. Was trouble free for the first year and a half, then the tranny blows at 22k miles!!!! Of course it was replaced under warranty. Appx six months later I started noticing that sometimes when I put it in reverse, it takes a few seconds to engage. So I took it back to the dealership and they were unable to replicate the problem. 3 months later, the tranny completely goes out....again!!!! Had truck towed to dealership and they replaced it again under warranty. Now, at 62k miles, my transmission is slipping, yet again. Not to mention, my warranty is up. Will never purchase another Ford product again!!!!

Favorite Features

Looks Strong engine

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission!!!!!!

New transmission needed...
By angyl421

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Escape for about 3 years now and have loved it up until this point. As I was driving home last week my O/D light began flashing. I took the car to my mechanic and was told I needed a new transmission. I only have 51,000 miles on my car. Other than that, it does have some loud road noise- especially at around 45-50 mph. Other than that, the car has treated me well, too bad I have to get rid of it.

Love my Escape But !!!
By jlo425

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I did'nt want to do it but I finally sold my Ford Escape. I owned it for a little over a year and loved to drive it, enjoyed the way it handled and the versatility. It was always fun to drive it as it handled well and was a great looking vehicle. The wind noise was a bit noticable at times but the reason I got rid of it was the terrible gas mileage. I have no idea what people are saying about good mileage. I live in the county and 95 % of my driving is highway and my Escape averages 20 mpg on the highway . My driving habits are quite conservative and Edmunds .com rates it as 21mpg on the highway. On the highway !!! To me this is not acceptable so I had to part with it . Thanks

Favorite Features

Versatility, fun to drive, very reliable, sharp looking

Suggested Improvements

Must improve gas mileage!! and reduce wind noise

Great so far
By Rob

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 months now, I am pleased with it. Bought it with 32,000 miles, it is in excellent condition, it is an xlt but has several "sport" options, has the audiophile 6 cd changer with the 7 speakers. Mileage seems better than the van I had, the ride of course is a little stiffer though, the moonroof is neat, Continental "conti trac tires are noisy, will chg at 50k, my wife and I are both glad to be back in a Ford, Ford took the "high road", no bailout, and it has sure paid off.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, audiophile 6 cd changer and 7 speakers, tire pressure sensors, instrument lighting is cool (red/green), auto dome light entry, dome light/radio on exit feature, power seat, cargo cover, tailgate window open only feature, daylight/fog lamps

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest a little too far back, could have a little more padding. The Continental "conti trac" tires are very noisy. Would prefer the foot pedal type emergency brake, but this one has its + s, more likely to use it. I would prefer the hood w/springs over the rod type holder, glove box under seat

Regrets
By Lorili

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The truck looks good enough on the outside, but inside it is not designed so well. I had the leather bag over the parking brake replaced once, but because of the way it lays over the brake, it is now torn again. Just a small tear, like a cut, but it is b/c of the way it lays right over the metal brake. That however, is not my big issue. My issue is the gas mileage. Previously, I had a 2000, GMC Yukon Denali that had almost better gas mileage. It was older, & bigger, but this truck is almost worse. I regret buying mine, but now I'm stuck with it.

Favorite Features

The color & body style. It did real good on the Michigan snow covered road last winter. The 4WD is a necessity.

Suggested Improvements

Better parking break bag design. ( I have a solution). Better gas mileage.

2007 Escape Review
By EscapeDriver

2007 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my escape. I always wanted a black SUV and when we drove the escape, I knew this was the right SUV for me. I've had it since 2007 and haven't had any problems! It's incredibly reliable and fun to drive. I would definitely get another escape in the future

Favorite Features

I love the air pressure gauge for the tires. I drive 2 kids around so it makes me feel safer that this is monitored because I rarely check on my own.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there was a way to save seat preferences. My husband drives it too and we are always switching the seats back and forth

Meets a lot of my needs except gas miles
By chico

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2007 program car. It was in great shape with very, very low miles. It rides like a small truck, handles like a small truck, and has room like a small truck. Unfortunately, it has the gas mileage of a small truck too. It's a real shocker coming out of a Camry. What I like about it is that it plows through modest amounts of snow with no hesitation. The ride is a little loud but the stereo has a feature that compensates for the ride noise level as you speed up and slow down, pretty cool. I like the features but I wish the ride were quieter and the gas mileage was better.

Favorite Features

The remote entry is semi-programmable, not bad for a stock stereo, has adequate room for my needs. Breaking is decent as is the acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Loud ride noise and poor gas mileage. The air is a little louder than I like, particularly on the higher settings.

bullet proof
By Michael S.

2007 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a company fleet vehicle that has that restored my faith in Ford (my 98' Contour had soooo many problems). It does everything well and has only required scheduled maintenence for 87K miles. Great ride for a truck, tight turning radius, great room and function in a compact package that JUST WORKS without having to think about it. I will be buying this one rather than turning it back in. I just can't let go of a good one.