Gamble Paid Off
By angrisicilian on
2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
Was nervous about buying Ford after owning Honda Accord. While the Accord is great, the Escape is very good and we love toting the family around in it. V6 is powerful enough, steering responsive, ride smooth (for a small SUV) and build is pretty good. The overall feel of the car is economy, but the drive is very good. Hate the AC setup w cheap dials and few settings (can't direct AC to floor or ceiling only), doors are very light and it clunks into gear when put into reverse from my drive way. Would highly suggest this car for those on a budget w a family. Not too sexy but a great, eccomonical car to get the kids to practice, groceries home and occasional trip to Yosemite.
Favorite Features
V6 power, exterior design, and responsive steering.
Suggested Improvements
Interior design, cheap and flimsy materials inside. Would like a more kid proof interior and a tab more room in back.
By notafordlover
on 12/31/10 09:53 AM (PST)

I'm not a Ford lover per se but I've purchased my 2006 escape mainly due to its size, performance when in the test drive as well as the tires which were on it when we purchased as well as the color Red. I've been collecting information tidbits about this vehicle and from what I've gathered so far is: the tires will wear no matter what is done with the exception of regular tire rotation (just the nature of the beast it seems) the design of the coil over spark plug is while unique in its design rather expensive to replace and once they begin to fail it seems they go one after another. I haven't had that experience yet at purchase mileage of 79000KM and have just over 100,000kms to date. I have had the rear main seal begin to leak as well as a front wheel tone ring (ABS Braking component) fail during our brief ownership of this vehicle.We have had it just barely two years now. It was a one owner vehicle as well so... I had test driven newer models with the 6 speed transmission and I wasn't impressed as they seemed to start off sluggish versus ours which is quite snappy from the get go. Overall I'm satisfied with the vehicle and haven't had any major problems outside of our extended warranty yet. I said for a long time if I purchased a Ford or any kind t had better have warranty because of all the little gadgets (ford better ideas) would be not only costly but annoying to have repaired. I guess there are good and bad with every make and model and it depends on whether you get a good one or a bad one so far I have a good one. :)