Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

EXCELLENT SUV
By Sean Sudduth

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a dream come true. No problems at all. I just changed out the front disk brakes at 60,000 miles, although still they had plenty of miles left. I expect the Continetal tires to reach 75,000 miles. Engine runs like a champ. 5w20 synthetic all year round. Great acceleration on a 4 cyl. I think that ford could design a quite engine technology, that would be nice. The car gets awesome gas mileage, way above the EPA estimated 21 city / 26 hwy. Nice stereo system, Audiophile 300 w/ 10" sub in rear, all stock. I will purchase my next car from FORD Motor Company.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, 21-22 in the City and 26- 33 MPG on the highway. I could not beleive this myself! I drove the speed limit, 55 mph full tank to empty check mpg and I got 33.42. I so badly wanted to round that up!

Suggested Improvements

The back seating area is a little uncomfortable, it would be nicer if there was a arm rest and the seat backs could recline or adjust. I think there is more than anticipated engine noise, would be nice if ford would design a quite engine technology. THIS IS A GREAT SUV, KUDOS TO YOU FORD!

Not bad for an SUV
By Lows1961

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this SUV in Feb of this year, of course we bought it used, we liked it for the looks, how it drove and the colour ( charcoal Grey). I was impressed with the pick-up it has and the handling on the road and in the weather conditions. This one came with all leather interior and the first and only owner before us went as far as ordering an all leather steering wheel, very nice. The sound system is awesome, it has the 6 cd changer and 6 speakers with a built-in amp, it came with all the bells and whistles. My only problem with this vehicle is it stinks on gas or it may be due to the small gas tank, at most I can get 450km per tank at the same time it only cost me to fill it up around 45.00

Favorite Features

All leather interior Sound system Looks and design

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bigger gas tank, gas tank on this SUV is way to small for the size Only holds from empty to full about 45 dollars and that is @ 85 cents a litre

garbage on wheels
By 4wdford

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where to begin? 15 mpg is the best we can get, and that's driving nice. The v6 struggles all the time, and smells like burning oil when parked after a run. Within the past 2 weeks the ABS has failed, the 4WD light has come on, and it pulls to the right under acceleration. The transmission now clunks when shifting. The factory tires are junk and started humming loudly after 15 000 km. To top things off, there are weird clunking noises coming from the back and front end. All this after 45,000 km, not miles!

Favorite Features

One day this SUV will be on a scrap heap where it belongs, that's the best feature.

Suggested Improvements

The engine, the drivetrain, the whole darn thing!

Reliable and Fun to drive.
By Preston

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle used in Jan '07. Have put 40K miles on it and have had no problems. Change oil and filters regularly. Other than that - nothing. Brakes still like new - will get 75K or more on pads. Conti tires still have 40% tread left. I expect to get 65K on them. Vehicle is good in snow. Have driven through 2ft+ snow storms without a problem. No problems in rain storms either. Highway mileage is 24+mpg - not bad for an SUV. City mileage brings overall mileage down to 21.1mpg. Still not too bad. Long story short - good vehicle. Would probably buy another.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Heating and ac system. Radio.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage .. of course.

Indestructible
By April

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. I put high miles on every year, drive 6 miles of dirt roads every day, and I have never had to have this SUV back to the dealer for any major warrenty work. This thing runs like a bear through snow, and is so comfortable to drive. I will be buying another one in a few years, and will be givig this one to my nephew for great college vehicle.

Favorite Features

Super reliable! Doesn't nickel and dime me, and waste my time with warrenty work.

Suggested Improvements

Light weight body. Really need to hang on to the wheel in high winds.