Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I'd buy another
By Michael

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Ecsape 16 Months ago with 70k Miles.I only put about 6k Miles a year on a car so a 2 year old with 70k was no big deal.So far just 1 repair needed, A disc in the front axle which was only $250 to fix. Averaged 26 MPG on a 15 hour round trip thru Mountains.We average between 8-9 FEET of Snow a year here and this thing is great.Comfortable and enough room to carry things.

Full time AWD, Stereo w/6 CD Changer,Heater cranks,Fog Lights, Safe feeling in lousy weather.

Develop a way to slide the rear headrests in the Backseat so you can get the rear seats folded flat without having to move the front seats way up or remove the headrests.

cross member
By george remedis

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

had to remove and replace the rear cross member aassembly due to a bad weld it was sheared at the weld should have been covered defect only 45ooo miles on itcost was 994.18 would not purchase another Ford as they due not back you up when it should have not have happened.

Very Nice Small SUV
By JimmyD

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned my 06 Escape for almost a year now. Great Vermont car - great in snow / bad weather. Had no problems until recently - had one ABS speed sensor go bad. The Ford dealer quickly diagnosed and fixed. Snappy performance with the 6 cyl, tows my 17 foot runabout boat without a problem. Roomy for a small SUV. OK gas mileage (22mpg). Seats very comfortable but stain easily (with just water). I've steam cleaned several times. Scotchguard helps.

AWD for VT winter driving, roomy for small SUV. Performance, handling, looks. Also great stock stereo w/ subwoofer and 6CD changer.

Upholstery stains easily. Need external temp. gauge (a safety feature for VT!) My '95 Explorer had one, why doesn't the Escape??

'06 Escape XLT Sport
By Ron S.

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I actually am quite fond of my Escape in spite of some dissapointing quirks. I must say it is way better than my last car, a Jeep Cheerokee Sport. The escape is an all around great vehicle and does every thing it is supposed to. I do agree with the person that said the tilt wheel does not tilt enough, this feature is like "What's the point?". Also mine has a very annoying suspension rattle that drives me crazy. I think it needs the sway bar connecting links replaced. My '05 Ford Focus had the same problem. Not hard or expensive to fix but a design flaw just the same. The padding in the front buckets is breaking down in the seat backs, my wife and I are just average size. Hey Ford????

Very comfortable, fun to drive, automatic 4 wheel drive system is great. I love the sound system and it tows my utility trailer well.

Transmission does a lot of shifting, I wish the V-6 was available with a 5 speed manual.

never again
By ford hater now

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

had one... had a wreck the air bags did NOT work . tires have to be replaced too often. it flipped so easy. when we wrecked it took only 3 people to flip it back over and one was a woman one was a teenage boy. this is not a safe vehicle at all

quit making them