2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
MAJOR problems - DO NOT BUY
By John on 12/27/07 10:58 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

DO NOT BUY! Since 15000 miles, we have had numerous SERIOUS issues with this car. Two of the faults almost caused fatal accidents! It has been in the repair shop 16 times total - 5 times for brake issues. MOST DANGEROUS - the vehicle will just shut off without warning. This has occured 4 seperate times, but Ford is unwilling to do anything about it because they cannot localize the problem! In addition, it has been in the repair shop for driver's side window (2 times) and a inoperative driver seat heater (2 times). Ford thinks it is okay that my family drive the vehicle and refuses to stand behind their name and product. The reliability of this car is suspect. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

My Lil' Black Baby!
By bowmanspartan on 12/12/07 15:23 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having just moved to Michigan from the South, I needed to replace my real- wheel drive Ford Ranger for something a little safer in the MI winter. I bought a used '06 Escape, and I am in love with it! Black on black, fully loaded (everything but a moonroof), leather interior, 200-hp V-6 and a god 4WD system. Tons of room for my football gear as well as my pals - I'm loving this!

My One Regret This Year!
By ItsJustMe on 12/11/07 18:37 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I thought I got a great deal, no such luck. Problems with cruise control and the gas pedal sticking, gas tank and fuel shut off, gas wouldn't always ready full until I drove 40 miles, burns oil - bad - at not even 40,000 miles, seals in the windows and doors are poor - lots of wind sounds. Finally, there was a horrible vibration sound coming out of fan/windshield area. Had it to 3 dealerships and nobody could fix it. Got worse with wind direction (sounds like something was stuck). Replaced blower motor and nothing changed. Horrible purchase overall. Its one thing after another. I know many people who love theirs, but please research and test drive until your blue in the face!!

2006 Ford Escape
By PETER SHEWITZ on 11/21/07 12:20 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I generally like the Escape. However, the gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired I am getting less that 16 mpg in the city and 20-21 on the highway. You would think that for a small suv Ford would be able to do better in the MPG area. Also, this is the first suv that I have owned, I was a little suprised at the bumpy ride, although not terrible still a bit rough.

Execellent Value
By Joe on 09/06/07 18:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great styling, nice comfort and hadles well especially in snow. The vechile is has been inexpensive to maintain.

Fun to drive, lousy tires
By Tom Culler on 04/15/07 13:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Escape is a fun, nimble little SUV which has great interior capacity and the 3.0L V6 has great power. The stock tires, however, are slippery and noisy. I can't wait until they wear out so that I can replace them.

Great SUV
By wheatleynavy on 04/11/07 16:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutly love my 2006 Escape. It handles better than any vehicle that I have ever driven before. The gas mileage is outstanding. Has lots of room inside. I highly recomend this SUV for anyone.

Strange road vibration
By Ralph on 03/27/07 18:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Basically, it is a fine SUV except when the speed reaches 60 MPH. Then an intermittent vibration starts. By 80 MPH it feels like the rear tires are totally out of balance...then it quits...then it starts again. Have been unable to find the reason even after all tires were replaced and rebalanced.

Love at 1st Sight
By In Love! on 01/19/07 03:27 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 01 Civic for an 06 Escape and I could not be happier. This is the first car that I have bought that I was completely in love with. I love the style of the inside and outside and I love the handling. I swear mine handles like a sedan, especially when taking turns. I'm single so I don't need a lot of room, but I can fit so much in my car. In my Honda, I couldn't even fit my niece's stroller in my truck. With my Escape, I can fit my niece's stroller, diaper bag, walker and high chair with room to spare, and of course my niece. I can also fit 4 passenger's comfortably, which I can't say my Honda did. I thought the gas mileage would be an issue but it's not, great on mileage.

Stealth Ford Escape
By J.P. on 01/04/07 11:35 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had driven the Mariner & Escape, & seriously considered the Escape. 3 versions of this platform are manufactured in Kansas City, the 3rd being the Mazda Tribute. Use Edmunds & compare these two vehicles before you buy. They are 95% identical but those few percentage points really could make a difference for you as it did for me. I'm a Ford fan, I really like this vehicle & I got a base unit, which had everything I wanted, out the door for $14,900. I'm very pleased!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.