2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Built by Children
By Richard Coffin on 01/14/09 09:01 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It's hard to discribe the disappointment experienced from this vehicle. I'll just point out the facts. 48000kms in 34 months from new. 1) 4th transmission on it's way out. 2) ABS/power brakes failed twice. 3) tire pressure sensor failed 4 times 4) rear axle seal leaked 5) windshield washer sensor light failure 6) loose parts banging around in floor or dash since 6 months after purchase. 7) understeers like a cab over tow truck towing an overweight vehicle. 8) Conteinental Contitrac tires rounded out like a wheel barrow tire. aLway properly inflated. 9) 1st gear is like 2nd in any other car. (Poor gear ratios) 10) Avg fuel economy 14.62 miles per gallon or 16.01 liters/100km.

Just Bought and Love it
By Tony Cross on 10/25/08 05:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought this SUV and I love it better than my 08 Suzuki Forenza I had. The Forenza was totaled in an accident. So far this SUV is getting the same gas mileage I had in my Forenza. I love the fact that I have the basic model and it doesn't look to plain. The ride is smoother than my Forenza and comfort is way better than my Forenza.

Near the top in minis
By hughie on 07/22/08 23:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have hammered and hammered my Escape, driven 5,500 miles RT from Southern Cal, no problem. I average about 21 mpg. I nearly red line the little dude on a daily basis. Of course I use synthetic oil and rotate the tires every 5k. This has to be one of the best autos I've owned, Euro and domestic. My tires have thousands of miles left (Goodyear). I'm at 46k miles in just under 2 years.

Very Impressive Compact SUV
By Bubba on 05/25/08 13:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Test drove an 05 Mariner, then found out that I could buy this from my work (ex company car). The Escape is just as nice as the Mariner- make sure you test drive an Escape before you spend extra to buy a Mariner. Build quality far exceeds my expectations- solid materials, no rattles or squeaks. Drove 7 hours home and was very impressed with comfort. Seats are comfortable, plenty of room. The V6 is very smooth and gets good gas mileage. I was surprised with the power- the Escape will move when asked to. I had a Saturn Vue that was a piece of junk- slow, unreliable, flimsy, and uncomfortable. Not even a comparison here. Listen to Ford - "Drive One."

This SUV rocks and rolls with life
By Dee on 05/16/08 09:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Ford Escape hybrid is big enough for 5 and is really sporty and comfortable. We travel to Vegas very often in it, and aren't thinking we may get stranded in the desert. It's super reliable and gets more than 32 mpg on the interstate! We save more than $290 a month on gasoline with our normal driving habits for family and business. Very cool!

Gamble Paid Off
By angrisicilian on 05/15/08 15:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Was nervous about buying Ford after owning Honda Accord. While the Accord is great, the Escape is very good and we love toting the family around in it. V6 is powerful enough, steering responsive, ride smooth (for a small SUV) and build is pretty good. The overall feel of the car is economy, but the drive is very good. Hate the AC setup w cheap dials and few settings (can't direct AC to floor or ceiling only), doors are very light and it clunks into gear when put into reverse from my drive way. Would highly suggest this car for those on a budget w a family. Not too sexy but a great, eccomonical car to get the kids to practice, groceries home and occasional trip to Yosemite.

Love it
By Annie on 05/15/08 05:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's not only affordable but it rides nice and it's very dependable. Handles great.

Why didn't I buy one sooner?
By Blue Beauty on 01/22/08 19:42 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving a Chevy Silverado 4x4 wit 6 inch lift and 36 inch mud tires that averaged 9-11 mpg on the highway. after years of that I decided to buy an Escape XLS and have been 100% satisfied with it. The 4 cylinder with the five speed manual tranny actually as decent acceleration and its fuel mileage is amazing. Everything about the macine is easy to use and functions very well.

Still a great Vehicle
By Paul Bernard on 01/22/08 11:50 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I gave my 06 Escape a rating back in Aug 06. I was very pleased with it after owning it for only 2 months. Now I confirm that pleasure with 2 years of ownership and just love it. Nothing has gone wrong with it! I do have to say though, the Continental tires had to get replaced at 31,000 miles. They actually looked like new but got so loud, it was like having 4 snow tires on it. I never realized how quiet the Escape was, for those tires were on it when I bought it. They made noise from the beginning but I never realized it. Now its sooo quiet with the new tires. I really like this SUV. Hope to drive it for several more years. No complaints at all.

Escape fits budget and a niche
By Budgetminded on 01/01/08 12:21 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford Escape LTD is a great choice for several needs - 2 students to share, airport luggage, groceries, running quick errands, weekend trips plus toting the wet Labrador from the lake as well as all around town. Best feature is a percieved value for the low price range. It's our third Ford SUV since 1991, rounds out our family fleet as the low priced "basic transportation" complement to our Explorer Limited & Volvo V70 XC - Ford folks have managed to meet our total driving lifestyle needs for our family of four.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.