Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

cross member
By george remedis

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

had to remove and replace the rear cross member aassembly due to a bad weld it was sheared at the weld should have been covered defect only 45ooo miles on itcost was 994.18 would not purchase another Ford as they due not back you up when it should have not have happened.

Very Nice Small SUV
By JimmyD

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned my 06 Escape for almost a year now. Great Vermont car - great in snow / bad weather. Had no problems until recently - had one ABS speed sensor go bad. The Ford dealer quickly diagnosed and fixed. Snappy performance with the 6 cyl, tows my 17 foot runabout boat without a problem. Roomy for a small SUV. OK gas mileage (22mpg). Seats very comfortable but stain easily (with just water). I've steam cleaned several times. Scotchguard helps.

Favorite Features

AWD for VT winter driving, roomy for small SUV. Performance, handling, looks. Also great stock stereo w/ subwoofer and 6CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Upholstery stains easily. Need external temp. gauge (a safety feature for VT!) My '95 Explorer had one, why doesn't the Escape??

'06 Escape XLT Sport
By Ron S.

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I actually am quite fond of my Escape in spite of some dissapointing quirks. I must say it is way better than my last car, a Jeep Cheerokee Sport. The escape is an all around great vehicle and does every thing it is supposed to. I do agree with the person that said the tilt wheel does not tilt enough, this feature is like "What's the point?". Also mine has a very annoying suspension rattle that drives me crazy. I think it needs the sway bar connecting links replaced. My '05 Ford Focus had the same problem. Not hard or expensive to fix but a design flaw just the same. The padding in the front buckets is breaking down in the seat backs, my wife and I are just average size. Hey Ford????

Favorite Features

Very comfortable, fun to drive, automatic 4 wheel drive system is great. I love the sound system and it tows my utility trailer well.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission does a lot of shifting, I wish the V-6 was available with a 5 speed manual.

never again
By ford hater now

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

had one... had a wreck the air bags did NOT work . tires have to be replaced too often. it flipped so easy. when we wrecked it took only 3 people to flip it back over and one was a woman one was a teenage boy. this is not a safe vehicle at all

Suggested Improvements

quit making them

Great For Price
By DetAk

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought for family car. Has been a great little SUV and now with economy as terrible as it is and fuel so high I feel smarter for the choice I made back then. Heard clunking noise in front when I went over bumps, so I took it in and had it bar replaced, under extended warranty. Gas peddle sticks all the time and is starting to worry me. Hopefully it is and easy fix.Average about 22 miles to the gallon so it has been great on the pocket book.

Favorite Features

Even with Inline four, having the manual transmission has been great. So light and small it really gets up and goes when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Larger tires. Little more insulation to keep noise down.