Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Happy Overall but beware of possible tranny problems
By bayport24

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Escape from Carmax in 2008 with only 38k miles. I was aware that it preciously had been part of a rental fleet. The 4-cylinder is a little noisy but was so much better than my previous 2001 Honda CRV. The looks and toughness of this SUV is GREAT. My minor gripes are that the accelerator pedal gets 'sticky" during cold weather here in Texas and that occasionally the A/C fan makes a shrieking noise that sounds like something is stuck in there. This noise happens mainly in cold weather too. Finally, at 67k miles my transmission had to be replaced. Luckily I had a good extended warranty. I attribute it due to previously being an abused rental vehicle. I have 76 k on it now.

Looks, ergonomics and good use of plastics in the interior. Outer bumpers, rims and grill all Ford tough.

Continental tires were too noisy. Replaced them with Yokohama Geolanders and they were much better. Monitor for any possible recurrent transmission problems. I think my tranny was just abused by renters in my SUV's prior life. My 4-cylinder only gets 21 MPG, but then again I added a trailer hitch for using a bike rack only - no towing done whatsoever. Prior to the hitch I got 23-24 MPG. Solid vehicle that, to me, Ford got it right. Would buy again but with a manual transmission (wife will have to learn how to use it)

Very Thrilled And Pleasently Supprised
By brian182

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 06' Escape about 8 months ago and couldn't be more pleased. A car salesman friend of mine let me drive an automatic trans. xls and it was OK. When I drove the 5 speed manual though....look out! Very peppy / zippy. I weigh a little over 200 lbs. and this thing will accelerate very nicely in 5th gear from about 40 mph. Zippy to the degree that you don't have to downshift. It seems that 152hp 4cyl is plenty for the Escape. Of course if you have something against shifting then you want the xlt auto 6cyl. Some have complained that the exhaust sounds a bit unrefined- hogwash. Engine compartment well layed out- very easy to get at the oil filter for you do it yoursefers. Very happy.

1. Oil filter right up front - super easy to get at 2. Plenty of power without having to downshift 3. Super mileage 26 combined cty/hwy 32 hwy. 4. Very maneuverable / handles respectably 5. All the seats fold down for cargo 6. Fun to drive

1. Capet in cargo area needs more refinement in keeping it secured 2. Seats stain easily -need Scotchguard or more stain resistant fabric

Love My Car
By fordfan

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I practically live in my car, driving it over country roads through rotten weather part of the year. It has never let me down once. I have 93,000 miles on it and really need to trade it in. But I could be getting a lemon for a real peach of a car. Thanks, Ford. Old Henry would be proud!

Reliability, room, and performance. Sure it's not perfect but name me something that is. Perfect for large dogs, small kids, and going to the beach taking half the house along.

It could be a little less of a battle wagon and more streamlined. But then, it isn't supposed to be a Porsche.

Ford Escape 2006 Sad Situation
By lisa

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Buy one as long as you don't mind putting up 4k for a new transmission at 40k miles over the 36/36m and out of warranty. No help from Ford Motor and the dealer orig purchased from is closed.. so out of luck? sad situation Always loved and took good care of the car then in the high speed lane Boston traffic. just died and now have a 4k in repair bill thanks Ford!

loved the car, hate the bill after a short ride.

Transmission warranty

A nice small SUV
By mjs

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 40k on the clock and have put 30k trouble free miles on it so far. Get 25 mpg in every day driving with the 4 cyl. I owned an '03 6 cyl and could only manage 19 mpg. Tires do not wear well and get very noisy. Rotate them often! Seat fabric is awful and stains easily. But it drives nice and is very versatile.

Light and nimble SUV with great gas mileage.

Tire wear and seat fabric.