Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Don't do it!
By tpwebb

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 2006 Ford Escape and its junk. It only has 140,000 kms and already needs a new transmission. We've taken this to 4 transmission shops and they all tell us that they replace Ford Escape transmissions the most out of ANY other vehicle. One guy said the Escape transmission replacements are his bread and butter. They might seem like great value, but get ready to open your pocket book. Ford continues to ignore the ongoing issues with the Escape and just keeps turning out the same crap. Tons of things go wrong with this vehicle and not just this particular year. Search Escape mechanical issues and you will see a petition against Ford. We will never buy another Ford product.

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Ford to address ongoing issues in all Ford Escapes

An OK buy..
By cappecan

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only reason I bought the Escape is because the Escape is one of the best selling mid-sized SUV's on the market. There are many differnt models to choose from, including an AWD hybrid model which is amazing if you ask me. If I am correct, Ford holds the title of introducing the first AWD hybrid model, and they have done a good job of upholding that title. The Escape is perfect for throwing all kinds of stuff into it from 5 average adults, to ski and snowboards on the roof racks, and a few kids inside. The only bad thing I can say about this SUV is the build quality. The parts are cheaply made and break quickly over time. Ford needs to fix this, or the Escape will die off as we know it.

Favorite Features

The intelligent AWD system is actually much better than I expected. The Escape handles very well in the snow, and isn't too big like the traditional SUV. Kudos to Ford for incorporating 4 wheel independant suspension. This feature is good for more comort in driving, and off road use. However ground clearance is lower due to the size of the Escape, so don't go crawling rocks with it. But overall, the Escape is a very good investment.

Suggested Improvements

If Ford is building their 2013-2014 line-up with the same universal generic parts, they have a hard road ahead of them. The Escape needs much more comfortable seats, and the AWD model should also be avilable in on-demand 4WD. The seats are as hard as rock. The lumbard support is terrible, and after a short time, driving it is very uncomfortable. Since the newer models have full painted bodies, I don't need to mention the plastic body panels. Over time they crack and fall apart. Replacements are very pricy, and are difficult to remove. Have an AUX jack standard as well as bluetooth.

Beware
By disneychick8

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 Ford Escape brand new which is now paid off and I now have spent an additional almost 1/3 of the purchase price on repairs. At first, it ran great other than loud road noise when driving down the highway (like air was leaking in somewhere) At 38,000 miles (yep, just off warranty) the #6 piston fell apart in the engine, At around 50,000 miles, the Throttle Body needed to be replaced due to the gas pedal was sticking. Now at 68,000 miles, just this morning, I lost my brakes after dropping my kids at school. One brake line busted and two more are leaking. On the interior, the tubing seal around the passenger side door is falling off and the truck is starting to rust.

Suggested Improvements

Higher Quality brake lines

great vehicle
By garyr32000

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my escape new in 2007 and have had done nothing but change fluids, filters and oil in 60,000 miles. It has been very dependable and has nEver failed to get me from point a to point b. the only issue i have had is a little surface rust on the inside of the bottom of all doors and the hatch. I stopped that with a rust reformer made by rustoleum.

Favorite Features

4wd is excellent. very comfortable on long trips, lots of storage room.

Suggested Improvements

needs to be better insulated due to road noise.

Good buy
By zadie

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this in 2007 for work with 20,000 miles. It is now 2011 and has over 145,000 miles on it with no problems. Its been a great SUV and my dogs love the sun roof.