Used 2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

More than I expected
By zookeeper

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Looked at small AWD vehicles and picked the Escape based on ride, looks and mileage. In the four months we have driven the Escape it has done everything I had hoped for and more. We saved on gas usage by half over our other vehicles and other than oil changes it has not seen the dealer for any reason. The fit and finish on the car was perfect and even with the four cylinder the performance has been great.

Favorite Features

Reliable and looks good even when it is dirty. The kids like the room in the back which is nicely sized for early teens, and easy on the gas usage.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support on the drivers seat at least and compass and temp display.

Hill Country TX Review
By Canyon Lake, TX.

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Prior to our purchase, we test drove Chevy HHR & Equinox (neither impressed us), Suzuki Grand Vitara (lacked performance); Saturn Vue (lacked style); Jeep Compass (poor quality). We're happy with the Escape. Handles the hill country well, excellent quality, ride, performance. We also like the appearance over competitive makes. Nice features, but gas mileage in our 4WD model is not impressive (16 mpg) and we need darker window tint to handle the Texas sun. Impressive driveability on wet & dry roads.

Favorite Features

Moonroof; flat cargo area with easily reconfigured rear seats; looks & performance.

Suggested Improvements

We hoped for better gas mileage with our 4.0.

Can't stop driving it
By Butch

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 2000 Blazer before my 06 Escape. What an improvement. Ford put together a very nice vehicle. Such a fun car to drive. Front wheel drive, independent 4 wheel suspension, big tires, a well balanced suv. Responsive V6, no rattles, quiet, handles very well. Gas mileage is very acceptable. 21 city, 24-25 hwy. As I mentioned, I can't stop driving it. Being on a fixed income, its hard to not get in it every day and put on 20-30 miles just enjoying it. The $3.00 per gal is hard to handle but hay, IT'S SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE! Being a previous suv owner, I can say this vehicle is a winner.

Favorite Features

Quiet, no rattles, good power, V6 runs so smooth at idle, good view through windshield.

Suggested Improvements

The tilt steering has very little travel. May-be 1-1/2" to 2" up and down.

Great SUV
By Sean

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this car about a month and have had nothing but praise for it. It handles well and drives like a dream. I drive a lot for work and with the fuel economy I actually make some money on my mileage reimbursements! Perfect size and very well built.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, fun to drive, handles well, perfect size, responsive for an suv.

Suggested Improvements

None.

We'd buy another one!
By pdavis

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We have the XLS 2 wheel drive 5 speed manual and absolutely love it. We traded a 5 speed manual Ranger and the Escape gets better mileage and is much more comfortable.

Favorite Features

Comfort, gas mileage, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Lower center console.