2006 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2006 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Great 4WD capabilities and fuel economy
By IT Guy

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV drives great compared to every other one I've driven. Love the fuel economy and the engine has a lot of power for a small inline-4. Lots of interior room for large people (compared to other compact SUVs). Automatically engaged 4WD feels different, but has proven reliable. The only real issue I have is with the initial quality of the Escape. I've run into 3 different issues that needed to be addressed by the dealership, but they fixed them without charge. In retrospect, two of those were fairly subtle "personal annoyances". Overall I'm extremely satisfied.

Favorite Features

The amount of head-room and leg-room in both the front and rear seats. Being 6'4", I can fit in both the front and rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Personally I would prefer 4WD that wasn't automatic. Better initial build quality.

Sensible and Secure
By Gasman30

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased the 4 cylinder AWD to maximize economy and still have the ability to drive in bad weather. It works very well. I understood its limitations and accept them - it's not a speedster or a land yacht.

Favorite Features

Intelligent 4WD - knows when to be in AWD - start up, slippery conditions - poor traction - and when to be in 2WD to maximize MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Less wind noise.

Vibration at Highway Speeds
By seadog2

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love the style and size and gas efficiency, but on the drive home from the dealer I noticed a vibration at 55mph - drove for about a month (thinking break in) and it never went away. Took to dealer and they "road force balanced" the tires - this appeared to hold for about 20 miles. It's back - apparently there are a few others who have experienced this (NHTSA reports and Usenet). No specific remedy! I will be going back to the dealer and giving them their 3 tries to fix - then its the lemon law. Other than the vibration - I love the little SUV. I test drove a couple of Escape rental cars and did not experience the vibration in those cars.

Favorite Features

Good all around view. Good gas mileage for a SUV. Sufficient room for 4 adults. Love the moon roof (my first in 40 years of driving). Flat folding rear seats (easy to do) for rear storage.

Suggested Improvements

Front bucket seats need to be more padded or firmer. Small instrument panel (particularly the speedometer). Factor standard 6-CD changer/AM-FM radio lacks capability of others (Music ID, etc.) Have to remove rear head rests (and find a place to put them) when folding rear seats flat.

Great small suv
By Stan

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this 2006 Escape for about a month. I am 6' 275 lbs and I fit just right in it. The new Duratec engine will get into traffic with no problem. So far I like it a lot and I like the gas mileage too.

Favorite Features

Rides like the big ones, looks good and has plenty of pep.

Suggested Improvements

none at this time.

Best SUV without the over sized body
By Rosa Yaites

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted an SUV but didn't want an overly large body. It still has plenty of leg room, head room and all the values a larger SUV has but no overkill on the body size. I started out with the base model because I have never driven an SUV, but I can surely say, I love it so much, I will upgrade to the Limited edition ASAP!

Favorite Features

The cargo area, auto off on the passenger front seat air bag if under 100 lbs.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with lock on spare tire.

Love It
By Frank&Jane Chambers

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We replaced a troublesome Focus Wagon and love this 2006 Escape. Had 7 miles on it and we took off for Washington State, averaged 29.9MPG at 70 MPH. Rides firm and quiet and handles like a European sedan. We also got $6,000 knocked off the sticker price.

Favorite Features

Firm well shaped seats. Great visibility. Excellent stereo sound. Perimeter alarm system and auto locking. Lots of pep for a 2.3 liter engine, friend has V6 Tribute 4X4 and thinks our Escape is a V6 also. Outstanding braking system reminds me of a pricey German car I once owned.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel and a dark tint band on the upper windscreen or a visor to fill the gap in the middle. Exhaust could stand a better tuned muffler, ours sounds like one of those little tuner cars with the raspy exhaust.

Built to last!
By Rotondi

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Pro: * 4 cylinder engine feels like a V6 * Fit and finish are excellent * Very smooth shifting 5 speed manual transmission * Great factory radio * Good MPG (25.3 average over 4 fill-ups) * ABS standard * No rattles or squeaks * Very easy DIY oil change. Con: * Rear drum brakes * No dual trip odometer * Privacy glass not standard on FWD models * Front discs generate a lot of brake dust. Overall I'm 100% satisfied. This is one SUV that truly earns the "Sport" in "Sport Utility Vehicle". I also enjoy the fact that it hold lots of stuff (33 cubic feet with the seats up and 69.2 with the rear seats down).

Favorite Features

Radio plays MP3 CD's, programmable keyless remote, peppy engine and the radio stays on after you shut off the car for 10 minutes (and the power windows still work too), then they shut off when you open a door.

Suggested Improvements

Make an outside temperature gauge and privacy glass standard.

Love it! After shopping for 2 years
By TGs

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted a small SUV since the Liberty came out in 2001, but I hated that back swinging door. I loved the Escape's cargo space and when they modified the front lights in 2006, and with Ford's Family plan, I just had to buy it at long last. I love it, my big dogs love it and it's just the right size! I get compliments on the beautiful Titanium green exterior color, and I'm finding that my gas mileage is averaging about 27 mpg; most of my driving is highway miles, so the Hybrid did not fit my bill. I love this car so much!

Favorite Features

Love its looks, and the seats fold flat for carrying dogs and materials. Tons of headroom and the size of the sunroof feels like I'm in a convertible. Relatively a quite ride, and I don't mind being stuck in traffic anymore because it's so comfortable, with great visibility and sound system

Suggested Improvements

Would love better gas mileage, without giving up the power in my V6. And a more powerful ventilation/air system. I can't blow AC on legs.

worth the money!
By jeffc

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought my Escape and my wife and love it! It's replacing a truck; and with fuel prices highly recommend so far! Decent gas mileage, plenty of pick-up.

Favorite Features

Radio volume that decreases volume when you slow down. Setup for satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

Easier folding back seats, have to remove headrests to put seat down.

Escape
By Nole

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It has great performance and tremendous space inside. After 15,000 miles I have not had 1 problem that required a return to my dealership. Ford did a great job with this vehicle. I just bought another Escape for my son in college.

Favorite Features

Performance and quality.