Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Still a great Vehicle
By Paul Bernard

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I gave my 06 Escape a rating back in Aug 06. I was very pleased with it after owning it for only 2 months. Now I confirm that pleasure with 2 years of ownership and just love it. Nothing has gone wrong with it! I do have to say though, the Continental tires had to get replaced at 31,000 miles. They actually looked like new but got so loud, it was like having 4 snow tires on it. I never realized how quiet the Escape was, for those tires were on it when I bought it. They made noise from the beginning but I never realized it. Now its sooo quiet with the new tires. I really like this SUV. Hope to drive it for several more years. No complaints at all.

Powerful, quick, feels like a 4 door sedan, 4WD is incredible in deep snow, very good brakes, stops on a dime, solid no rattles or squeakes. many people have commented on how smooth and quiet it rides.

MPG.could be better with the v6 but a very good running engine.

Escape fits budget and a niche
By Budgetminded

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford Escape LTD is a great choice for several needs - 2 students to share, airport luggage, groceries, running quick errands, weekend trips plus toting the wet Labrador from the lake as well as all around town. Best feature is a percieved value for the low price range. It's our third Ford SUV since 1991, rounds out our family fleet as the low priced "basic transportation" complement to our Explorer Limited & Volvo V70 XC - Ford folks have managed to meet our total driving lifestyle needs for our family of four.

Greatest features are visibility, gas mileage, handling, looks, HVAC, maintenance free, quiet engine, dash layout and front seat comfort.

One very minor feature for an upgrade is the dome light switch and poor interior lighting levels for front seats. Also consider offering a locking gas cap cover.

MAJOR problems - DO NOT BUY
By John

2006 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

DO NOT BUY! Since 15000 miles, we have had numerous SERIOUS issues with this car. Two of the faults almost caused fatal accidents! It has been in the repair shop 16 times total - 5 times for brake issues. MOST DANGEROUS - the vehicle will just shut off without warning. This has occured 4 seperate times, but Ford is unwilling to do anything about it because they cannot localize the problem! In addition, it has been in the repair shop for driver's side window (2 times) and a inoperative driver seat heater (2 times). Ford thinks it is okay that my family drive the vehicle and refuses to stand behind their name and product. The reliability of this car is suspect. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

All positive aspects are by far not worth the 3 near death experiences when the Escape just stopped on the highway and the breaks failed. The hassle and lack of customer support only causes me to NEVER recommend this vehicle to anyone. DO NOT BUY!

better customer service support - fix the engine stoppage and better quality of car. Way to many problems for a car less than 2 1/2 years old.

My Lil' Black Baby!
By bowmanspartan

2006 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having just moved to Michigan from the South, I needed to replace my real- wheel drive Ford Ranger for something a little safer in the MI winter. I bought a used '06 Escape, and I am in love with it! Black on black, fully loaded (everything but a moonroof), leather interior, 200-hp V-6 and a god 4WD system. Tons of room for my football gear as well as my pals - I'm loving this!

Exterior styling, powerful motor, 4WD system, leater seats

Better gas mileage, some parts of the interior (i.e. cig lighter, some paneling) feels cheap

My One Regret This Year!
By ItsJustMe

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I thought I got a great deal, no such luck. Problems with cruise control and the gas pedal sticking, gas tank and fuel shut off, gas wouldn't always ready full until I drove 40 miles, burns oil - bad - at not even 40,000 miles, seals in the windows and doors are poor - lots of wind sounds. Finally, there was a horrible vibration sound coming out of fan/windshield area. Had it to 3 dealerships and nobody could fix it. Got worse with wind direction (sounds like something was stuck). Replaced blower motor and nothing changed. Horrible purchase overall. Its one thing after another. I know many people who love theirs, but please research and test drive until your blue in the face!!

The storage in this vehicle is great. The back seats folds completely down and you can get a lot in. In the winter months, it heats up really fast. Rear-windshield wiper is great. Average 24-26 MPG with a mix of city/country. Best is 31. I like the center counsole vs. on the steering wheel.

Everything besides what's listed in favorite features. Seats are really uncomfortable. I have a tan interior and water leaves a stain - horrible for kids.