Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

This SUV rocks and rolls with life
By Dee

2006 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Ford Escape hybrid is big enough for 5 and is really sporty and comfortable. We travel to Vegas very often in it, and aren't thinking we may get stranded in the desert. It's super reliable and gets more than 32 mpg on the interstate! We save more than $290 a month on gasoline with our normal driving habits for family and business. Very cool!

Hybrid engine that is super peppy and doesn't need plugging in, yet I have a 110 watt power jack in the front console that's for me to plug in devices, laptops, DVD players, etc.

Too cool like it is. Maybe just a bit of a wider wheel-base to feel less top heavy.

Gamble Paid Off
By angrisicilian

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Was nervous about buying Ford after owning Honda Accord. While the Accord is great, the Escape is very good and we love toting the family around in it. V6 is powerful enough, steering responsive, ride smooth (for a small SUV) and build is pretty good. The overall feel of the car is economy, but the drive is very good. Hate the AC setup w cheap dials and few settings (can't direct AC to floor or ceiling only), doors are very light and it clunks into gear when put into reverse from my drive way. Would highly suggest this car for those on a budget w a family. Not too sexy but a great, eccomonical car to get the kids to practice, groceries home and occasional trip to Yosemite.

V6 power, exterior design, and responsive steering.

Interior design, cheap and flimsy materials inside. Would like a more kid proof interior and a tab more room in back.

Love it
By Annie

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's not only affordable but it rides nice and it's very dependable. Handles great.

Handles great, good on gas, looks good.

Problems with the gas pedal, had to be replaced. Speakers blow easily too, never have my radio loud. Cab noise at high speeds.

Why didn't I buy one sooner?
By Blue Beauty

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving a Chevy Silverado 4x4 wit 6 inch lift and 36 inch mud tires that averaged 9-11 mpg on the highway. after years of that I decided to buy an Escape XLS and have been 100% satisfied with it. The 4 cylinder with the five speed manual tranny actually as decent acceleration and its fuel mileage is amazing. Everything about the macine is easy to use and functions very well.

Easy and user friendly controls, flawless five speed manual transmission, very nice sound system, handles like a car.

The stock tires aren't that great. I changed mine out wit a set of all seasons.

Still a great Vehicle
By Paul Bernard

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I gave my 06 Escape a rating back in Aug 06. I was very pleased with it after owning it for only 2 months. Now I confirm that pleasure with 2 years of ownership and just love it. Nothing has gone wrong with it! I do have to say though, the Continental tires had to get replaced at 31,000 miles. They actually looked like new but got so loud, it was like having 4 snow tires on it. I never realized how quiet the Escape was, for those tires were on it when I bought it. They made noise from the beginning but I never realized it. Now its sooo quiet with the new tires. I really like this SUV. Hope to drive it for several more years. No complaints at all.

Powerful, quick, feels like a 4 door sedan, 4WD is incredible in deep snow, very good brakes, stops on a dime, solid no rattles or squeakes. many people have commented on how smooth and quiet it rides.

MPG.could be better with the v6 but a very good running engine.