Used 2006 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Happy Overall but beware of possible tranny problems
By bayport24

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Escape from Carmax in 2008 with only 38k miles. I was aware that it preciously had been part of a rental fleet. The 4-cylinder is a little noisy but was so much better than my previous 2001 Honda CRV. The looks and toughness of this SUV is GREAT. My minor gripes are that the accelerator pedal gets 'sticky" during cold weather here in Texas and that occasionally the A/C fan makes a shrieking noise that sounds like something is stuck in there. This noise happens mainly in cold weather too. Finally, at 67k miles my transmission had to be replaced. Luckily I had a good extended warranty. I attribute it due to previously being an abused rental vehicle. I have 76 k on it now.

Looks, ergonomics and good use of plastics in the interior. Outer bumpers, rims and grill all Ford tough.

Continental tires were too noisy. Replaced them with Yokohama Geolanders and they were much better. Monitor for any possible recurrent transmission problems. I think my tranny was just abused by renters in my SUV's prior life. My 4-cylinder only gets 21 MPG, but then again I added a trailer hitch for using a bike rack only - no towing done whatsoever. Prior to the hitch I got 23-24 MPG. Solid vehicle that, to me, Ford got it right. Would buy again but with a manual transmission (wife will have to learn how to use it)

Love My Car
By fordfan

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I practically live in my car, driving it over country roads through rotten weather part of the year. It has never let me down once. I have 93,000 miles on it and really need to trade it in. But I could be getting a lemon for a real peach of a car. Thanks, Ford. Old Henry would be proud!

Reliability, room, and performance. Sure it's not perfect but name me something that is. Perfect for large dogs, small kids, and going to the beach taking half the house along.

It could be a little less of a battle wagon and more streamlined. But then, it isn't supposed to be a Porsche.

I love my 2006 Ford Escape!
By jb376

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've really enjoyed it since buying it in 9/09. It's easy to drive, excellent visibility (don't need to sit on something to see where you're going), and has been pretty reliable. I also like that it has flat surfaces on the dash, on the console, and on the rear bumper, where I can set my coffee when I'm loading and unloading (along with a drink holder, of course)! That makes it very convenient. Also, I've noticed the fuel economy is a lot better when I use a higher octane gas. Overall, I really like my Escape!

Lots of flat surfaces to place my coffee! Smart thinking!

None that I can think of.

Serious Value, Hard to Beat
By Buy American

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new 7/06, 0% financing on $20K. Get 25mpg with the 4, sit up high for safety, park in compact spaces, room for all kinds of toys and junk. Have slept in it more than once. Dependable and faultless performance. No, it's not for towing big boats or taking turns at 50. I have had it over 100 in the desert and it holds steady. I have owned 50 cars and this is in the top 5. Used car buyers - ALWAYS check for body and frame damage, NEVER buy a car that has been wrecked, they WILL NOT run right ever again, trust me.

Moonroof, 6 CD, hidden storage, room for lots of stuff. Pleasurable but subdued driving experience.

Wiper controls cluttered because of rear wiper (never used), no good place to put smartphone, no dock for Ipod, transaxle whines/throbs at 77 mph, seat wobbles, no inside release for gas hatch,

EXCELLENT SUV
By Sean Sudduth

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a dream come true. No problems at all. I just changed out the front disk brakes at 60,000 miles, although still they had plenty of miles left. I expect the Continetal tires to reach 75,000 miles. Engine runs like a champ. 5w20 synthetic all year round. Great acceleration on a 4 cyl. I think that ford could design a quite engine technology, that would be nice. The car gets awesome gas mileage, way above the EPA estimated 21 city / 26 hwy. Nice stereo system, Audiophile 300 w/ 10" sub in rear, all stock. I will purchase my next car from FORD Motor Company.

Gas Mileage, 21-22 in the City and 26- 33 MPG on the highway. I could not beleive this myself! I drove the speed limit, 55 mph full tank to empty check mpg and I got 33.42. I so badly wanted to round that up!

The back seating area is a little uncomfortable, it would be nicer if there was a arm rest and the seat backs could recline or adjust. I think there is more than anticipated engine noise, would be nice if ford would design a quite engine technology. THIS IS A GREAT SUV, KUDOS TO YOU FORD!