2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Very Thrilled And Pleasently Supprised
By brian182 on 08/30/11 20:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 06' Escape about 8 months ago and couldn't be more pleased. A car salesman friend of mine let me drive an automatic trans. xls and it was OK. When I drove the 5 speed manual though....look out! Very peppy / zippy. I weigh a little over 200 lbs. and this thing will accelerate very nicely in 5th gear from about 40 mph. Zippy to the degree that you don't have to downshift. It seems that 152hp 4cyl is plenty for the Escape. Of course if you have something against shifting then you want the xlt auto 6cyl. Some have complained that the exhaust sounds a bit unrefined- hogwash. Engine compartment well layed out- very easy to get at the oil filter for you do it yoursefers. Very happy.

Why didn't I buy one sooner?
By Blue Beauty on 01/22/08 19:42 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving a Chevy Silverado 4x4 wit 6 inch lift and 36 inch mud tires that averaged 9-11 mpg on the highway. after years of that I decided to buy an Escape XLS and have been 100% satisfied with it. The 4 cylinder with the five speed manual tranny actually as decent acceleration and its fuel mileage is amazing. Everything about the macine is easy to use and functions very well.

Stealth Ford Escape
By J.P. on 01/04/07 11:35 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had driven the Mariner & Escape, & seriously considered the Escape. 3 versions of this platform are manufactured in Kansas City, the 3rd being the Mazda Tribute. Use Edmunds & compare these two vehicles before you buy. They are 95% identical but those few percentage points really could make a difference for you as it did for me. I'm a Ford fan, I really like this vehicle & I got a base unit, which had everything I wanted, out the door for $14,900. I'm very pleased!

Cheap Thrills
By coach2hockey on 11/21/06 14:34 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up a base model Escape for $15,400 before tax and title and couldn't be more satisfied. I have a city/highway commute and average 29+mpg. Plenty of room in the back for hockey equipment and the split foldown seat allows for the sticks to lay flat without using up the whole second row of seating. For a 4 cylinder there is decent acceleration even with the A/C running. Why would anyone buy a car when they can get one of these?

A good, economical SUV to drive
By atg61 on 03/02/06 09:05 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A good, economical SUV to drive and it serves most purposes. Although not a very powerful engine (4 cylinder) it easily makes up for it in fuel economy. Because of its size, it is nimble and can squeeze in spots better than your average SUV yet still is able to hold/transport almost the same amount as bigger SUVs without giving up a lot of space. The base XLS model is no frills but has options that you would not expect. A good value over all and I am quite satisfied.

Pleased as punch!
By 06EscapeOwnerGA on 01/23/06 09:33 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had one problem with my 2006 Escape XLS. The rear window wiper quit working after an ice storm. I'm sure when I tried to use it, it was frozen and the motor burned out. But, thanks to Ford's warranty plan (5 years, 75,000 miles); I'm covered bumper to bumper! I love my new vehicle and I got an outstanding deal. $17,299! For any SUV that is brand new fresh off the truck, with 3 miles on it that's a great deal. Dealer also put a new set of tires on for free when a fault spot was detected on the right front tire! Also, while they were doing that, the GM let us take an '06 Fusion and bought our lunch!

Great 4WD capabilities and fuel economy
By IT Guy on 12/09/05 15:52 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV drives great compared to every other one I've driven. Love the fuel economy and the engine has a lot of power for a small inline-4. Lots of interior room for large people (compared to other compact SUVs). Automatically engaged 4WD feels different, but has proven reliable. The only real issue I have is with the initial quality of the Escape. I've run into 3 different issues that needed to be addressed by the dealership, but they fixed them without charge. In retrospect, two of those were fairly subtle "personal annoyances". Overall I'm extremely satisfied.

Best SUV without the over sized body
By Rosa Yaites on 10/04/05 13:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted an SUV but didn't want an overly large body. It still has plenty of leg room, head room and all the values a larger SUV has but no overkill on the body size. I started out with the base model because I have never driven an SUV, but I can surely say, I love it so much, I will upgrade to the Limited edition ASAP!

Built to last!
By Rotondi on 09/23/05 22:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Pro: * 4 cylinder engine feels like a V6 * Fit and finish are excellent * Very smooth shifting 5 speed manual transmission * Great factory radio * Good MPG (25.3 average over 4 fill-ups) * ABS standard * No rattles or squeaks * Very easy DIY oil change. Con: * Rear drum brakes * No dual trip odometer * Privacy glass not standard on FWD models * Front discs generate a lot of brake dust. Overall I'm 100% satisfied. This is one SUV that truly earns the "Sport" in "Sport Utility Vehicle". I also enjoy the fact that it hold lots of stuff (33 cubic feet with the seats up and 69.2 with the rear seats down).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.