2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Happy Overall but beware of possible tranny problems
By bayport24 on 09/07/11 14:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Escape from Carmax in 2008 with only 38k miles. I was aware that it preciously had been part of a rental fleet. The 4-cylinder is a little noisy but was so much better than my previous 2001 Honda CRV. The looks and toughness of this SUV is GREAT. My minor gripes are that the accelerator pedal gets 'sticky" during cold weather here in Texas and that occasionally the A/C fan makes a shrieking noise that sounds like something is stuck in there. This noise happens mainly in cold weather too. Finally, at 67k miles my transmission had to be replaced. Luckily I had a good extended warranty. I attribute it due to previously being an abused rental vehicle. I have 76 k on it now.

Love My Car
By fordfan on 07/27/10 09:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I practically live in my car, driving it over country roads through rotten weather part of the year. It has never let me down once. I have 93,000 miles on it and really need to trade it in. But I could be getting a lemon for a real peach of a car. Thanks, Ford. Old Henry would be proud!

I love my 2006 Ford Escape!
By jb376 on 03/07/10 22:35 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've really enjoyed it since buying it in 9/09. It's easy to drive, excellent visibility (don't need to sit on something to see where you're going), and has been pretty reliable. I also like that it has flat surfaces on the dash, on the console, and on the rear bumper, where I can set my coffee when I'm loading and unloading (along with a drink holder, of course)! That makes it very convenient. Also, I've noticed the fuel economy is a lot better when I use a higher octane gas. Overall, I really like my Escape!

Serious Value, Hard to Beat
By Buy American on 02/22/10 13:21 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new 7/06, 0% financing on $20K. Get 25mpg with the 4, sit up high for safety, park in compact spaces, room for all kinds of toys and junk. Have slept in it more than once. Dependable and faultless performance. No, it's not for towing big boats or taking turns at 50. I have had it over 100 in the desert and it holds steady. I have owned 50 cars and this is in the top 5. Used car buyers - ALWAYS check for body and frame damage, NEVER buy a car that has been wrecked, they WILL NOT run right ever again, trust me.

EXCELLENT SUV
By Sean Sudduth on 04/23/09 10:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a dream come true. No problems at all. I just changed out the front disk brakes at 60,000 miles, although still they had plenty of miles left. I expect the Continetal tires to reach 75,000 miles. Engine runs like a champ. 5w20 synthetic all year round. Great acceleration on a 4 cyl. I think that ford could design a quite engine technology, that would be nice. The car gets awesome gas mileage, way above the EPA estimated 21 city / 26 hwy. Nice stereo system, Audiophile 300 w/ 10" sub in rear, all stock. I will purchase my next car from FORD Motor Company.

Escape fits budget and a niche
By Budgetminded on 01/01/08 12:21 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford Escape LTD is a great choice for several needs - 2 students to share, airport luggage, groceries, running quick errands, weekend trips plus toting the wet Labrador from the lake as well as all around town. Best feature is a percieved value for the low price range. It's our third Ford SUV since 1991, rounds out our family fleet as the low priced "basic transportation" complement to our Explorer Limited & Volvo V70 XC - Ford folks have managed to meet our total driving lifestyle needs for our family of four.

Love at 1st Sight
By In Love! on 01/19/07 03:27 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 01 Civic for an 06 Escape and I could not be happier. This is the first car that I have bought that I was completely in love with. I love the style of the inside and outside and I love the handling. I swear mine handles like a sedan, especially when taking turns. I'm single so I don't need a lot of room, but I can fit so much in my car. In my Honda, I couldn't even fit my niece's stroller in my truck. With my Escape, I can fit my niece's stroller, diaper bag, walker and high chair with room to spare, and of course my niece. I can also fit 4 passenger's comfortably, which I can't say my Honda did. I thought the gas mileage would be an issue but it's not, great on mileage.

My Cool Suv
By Harvey on 01/03/07 14:46 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Hi, I'm Harvey from Texas. I love driving my new Ford Escape. It has very good handling and is very easy to control. Not to mention it's very comfortable as well. My wife and I love it because is looks like a small 4x4. In other words it looks like it could go off roading or something. Oh, and wow! the Ford Escape is really great on gas unlike the last vehicle I had. It has really saved me hundreds of dollars in just a couple of months.

Love It
By GCS on 02/14/06 20:37 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this SUV since 19 Dec 2005. I have not had any problems with the car at all. Traded in a Ford Taurus 4D and find this vehicle to be a pleasure to drive. I have sons that are 6 ft and this SUV has the room to allow them to be comfortable in the rear seats. Great travel vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.