2006 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Worst vehicle I have ever owned
By walrusx on 04/09/14 12:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used Escape with just under 70000 KM on it. In two and a half years the vehicle required 5 brake calipers, one O2 sensor, a front flex pipe, 2 emergency brake cables, 2 wheel hubs, 6 rotors, 12 brake pads, 3 oil seals, 2 U-joints, 3 lower control arms, 2 sway bar links, 1 serpentine belt, 1 battery, 2 half-shafts and 2 sway bar bushings. When it worked it was great, but 95% of the time there was something wrong with it. It cost me about as much in repairs and parts as it did to buy it in the first place. I took a huge loss to get rid of it but it was worth it. It has been replaced by a 2009 Santa Fe which is a far, far superior vehicle.

Please read this before continuing.
By djte on 01/25/14 23:41 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is amazing. I've driven a few SUVs, but this one takes the cake. I love it. It has been a very reliable car for me and my family for the last 5 years, and it's still going. Gas is OK for an SUV, but it's an SUV...I wouldnt expect amazing mileage. I've had no problems with it, no repairs needed other than a turn signal bulb. It has 123K miles on it. Spark plugs are due but that's it. It is very solid, very nicely designed, no complaints at all. As far as the negative reviews go, there can be a lot of situations leading to the problems (Previous rental, poor care, etc.) I have had none of these problems, inspect your car before you buy. Thank you Ford!

1 Year Update
By cappecan on 12/19/13 22:36 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well I have had my Escape for nearly a year now, and all I can say is I have made a terrible mistake purchasing this Ford. This car has broken down 6, yes 6 times in 12 months, and has cost me $1,800 in repairs. I have put only 13,000 miles on it since I have owned it, and have had problem after problem with it. I bought this Escape because 1: It was a certified pre-owned Ford, and two it was used as a rental at a FORD dealership. So I knew that it was seriviced on time every time in the first few years of it's lifetime. Well I will NEVER EVER buy another Ford for as long as I live. Stay away from these cars.

8 yrs, 140k mi, no problems, love it EXCEPT uncomfortable seat
By sara43 on 08/12/13 08:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape was not exactly what I thought I wanted in 2006 but it's what I could afford, and as it turned out it was and still exactly what I needed. 8 years and 142,000 miles later the only repair I have had to make outside of regular maintanance was replace a sticky brake caliper, most likely a manufacturing defect. Furthermore, I bought a front wheel drive as we lived in VA, not knowing we would be moving to the heart of the Rockies in CO. With good tires and smart driving, this car has handled incredibly adverse snow conditions. My only complaint is that the seat is sooo uncomfortable. I am not big, 5'6", 130 lbs, but just NO leg support in this short seat.

Don't do it!
By tpwebb on 07/28/13 13:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 2006 Ford Escape and its junk. It only has 140,000 kms and already needs a new transmission. We've taken this to 4 transmission shops and they all tell us that they replace Ford Escape transmissions the most out of ANY other vehicle. One guy said the Escape transmission replacements are his bread and butter. They might seem like great value, but get ready to open your pocket book. Ford continues to ignore the ongoing issues with the Escape and just keeps turning out the same crap. Tons of things go wrong with this vehicle and not just this particular year. Search Escape mechanical issues and you will see a petition against Ford. We will never buy another Ford product.

An OK buy..
By cappecan on 05/29/13 14:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only reason I bought the Escape is because the Escape is one of the best selling mid-sized SUV's on the market. There are many differnt models to choose from, including an AWD hybrid model which is amazing if you ask me. If I am correct, Ford holds the title of introducing the first AWD hybrid model, and they have done a good job of upholding that title. The Escape is perfect for throwing all kinds of stuff into it from 5 average adults, to ski and snowboards on the roof racks, and a few kids inside. The only bad thing I can say about this SUV is the build quality. The parts are cheaply made and break quickly over time. Ford needs to fix this, or the Escape will die off as we know it.

Beware
By disneychick8 on 04/27/12 19:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 Ford Escape brand new which is now paid off and I now have spent an additional almost 1/3 of the purchase price on repairs. At first, it ran great other than loud road noise when driving down the highway (like air was leaking in somewhere) At 38,000 miles (yep, just off warranty) the #6 piston fell apart in the engine, At around 50,000 miles, the Throttle Body needed to be replaced due to the gas pedal was sticking. Now at 68,000 miles, just this morning, I lost my brakes after dropping my kids at school. One brake line busted and two more are leaking. On the interior, the tubing seal around the passenger side door is falling off and the truck is starting to rust.

great vehicle
By garyr32000 on 10/05/11 06:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my escape new in 2007 and have had done nothing but change fluids, filters and oil in 60,000 miles. It has been very dependable and has nEver failed to get me from point a to point b. the only issue i have had is a little surface rust on the inside of the bottom of all doors and the hatch. I stopped that with a rust reformer made by rustoleum.

Good buy
By zadie on 10/02/11 14:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this in 2007 for work with 20,000 miles. It is now 2011 and has over 145,000 miles on it with no problems. Its been a great SUV and my dogs love the sun roof.

Happy Overall but beware of possible tranny problems
By bayport24 on 09/07/11 14:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Escape from Carmax in 2008 with only 38k miles. I was aware that it preciously had been part of a rental fleet. The 4-cylinder is a little noisy but was so much better than my previous 2001 Honda CRV. The looks and toughness of this SUV is GREAT. My minor gripes are that the accelerator pedal gets 'sticky" during cold weather here in Texas and that occasionally the A/C fan makes a shrieking noise that sounds like something is stuck in there. This noise happens mainly in cold weather too. Finally, at 67k miles my transmission had to be replaced. Luckily I had a good extended warranty. I attribute it due to previously being an abused rental vehicle. I have 76 k on it now.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.