Used 2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2006 Escape 3.0L FWD
By osu2

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my Escape! I Bought it a year ago with 140k and it has honestly been the most reliable car I've ever had! It now has 175k and is a champ, the 3.0L engine really sips gas for a V6! It runs like it's brand new still. The V6 engine is very peppy! It gets up and goes when you need it to! Don't let the FWD fool ya either, It's pulled out of mud ruts with no issues! Right now I use it for commuting back and fourth to college and I honestly could not of made a better choice. I know the Escape has a lot of bad reviews...it's basic maintenance and you will be fine. I use synthetic oil every 3k, I get my transmission fluid changed every 20k because of its age. Love my Escape!!!

Favorite Features

The 6 disc CD changer is amazing, not to mention the speakers. I love the fact that it's amazing on gas, because no 4X4. Fog lights make for amazing vision! I also really like the tire pressure light. Saved my life several times! The rims are amazing quality and shine up like new everytime. The flat folding seats are also a really handy feature!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can complain about is the ABS Tone Rings....they are junk and are a complete waste of money to fix. My breaks work just fine without them, if not better! I have to deal with the ABS light but no big deal. The black bumpers can be annoying to keep from fading, plus the wheel well is known for rust so cover your wheel wells with the matching black trim! Call Ford, or eBay has them really cheap too (for a budget) :)

Worst vehicle I have ever owned
By walrusx

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used Escape with just under 70000 KM on it. In two and a half years the vehicle required 5 brake calipers, one O2 sensor, a front flex pipe, 2 emergency brake cables, 2 wheel hubs, 6 rotors, 12 brake pads, 3 oil seals, 2 U-joints, 3 lower control arms, 2 sway bar links, 1 serpentine belt, 1 battery, 2 half-shafts and 2 sway bar bushings. When it worked it was great, but 95% of the time there was something wrong with it. It cost me about as much in repairs and parts as it did to buy it in the first place. I took a huge loss to get rid of it but it was worth it. It has been replaced by a 2009 Santa Fe which is a far, far superior vehicle.

Favorite Features

The rear end of the vehicle... Seeing it drive away after I sold it. The engine was pretty smooth and reasonably powerful, though. It was about the only part of the vehicle that had no major issues.

Suggested Improvements

Durability should have been better. The vehicle aged terribly and rusted like it was nobody's business. Harsh transmission as well.

Please read this before continuing.
By djte

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is amazing. I've driven a few SUVs, but this one takes the cake. I love it. It has been a very reliable car for me and my family for the last 5 years, and it's still going. Gas is OK for an SUV, but it's an SUV...I wouldnt expect amazing mileage. I've had no problems with it, no repairs needed other than a turn signal bulb. It has 123K miles on it. Spark plugs are due but that's it. It is very solid, very nicely designed, no complaints at all. As far as the negative reviews go, there can be a lot of situations leading to the problems (Previous rental, poor care, etc.) I have had none of these problems, inspect your car before you buy. Thank you Ford!

1 Year Update
By cappecan

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well I have had my Escape for nearly a year now, and all I can say is I have made a terrible mistake purchasing this Ford. This car has broken down 6, yes 6 times in 12 months, and has cost me $1,800 in repairs. I have put only 13,000 miles on it since I have owned it, and have had problem after problem with it. I bought this Escape because 1: It was a certified pre-owned Ford, and two it was used as a rental at a FORD dealership. So I knew that it was seriviced on time every time in the first few years of it's lifetime. Well I will NEVER EVER buy another Ford for as long as I live. Stay away from these cars.

Favorite Features

I don't have any.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. I have replaced rotors, brakes, shoes, ball joints, bearing assemblies, hub assemblies, half shafts, rubber boots, the list goes on. Ford has no idea how to incorporate good build quality into their vehicles, nor do they know the true meaning of their "Built Ford Tough" slogan that they advertise. Fix Or Repair Daily is what Ford means to me.

8 yrs, 140k mi, no problems, love it EXCEPT uncomfortable seat
By sara43

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape was not exactly what I thought I wanted in 2006 but it's what I could afford, and as it turned out it was and still exactly what I needed. 8 years and 142,000 miles later the only repair I have had to make outside of regular maintanance was replace a sticky brake caliper, most likely a manufacturing defect. Furthermore, I bought a front wheel drive as we lived in VA, not knowing we would be moving to the heart of the Rockies in CO. With good tires and smart driving, this car has handled incredibly adverse snow conditions. My only complaint is that the seat is sooo uncomfortable. I am not big, 5'6", 130 lbs, but just NO leg support in this short seat.

Favorite Features

Good looking exterior design, reliability, durability, price. A very usable vehicle. Looks of cargo space, can pack it full of dogs, camping and rafting gear.

Suggested Improvements

Ford, if you would only put a decent seat in this car, it could be a perfect vehicle for drivers in your target market. There is no reason a middle income driver should have to be uncomfortable in this day and age. Spend the money and design a better seat. I'm middle aged and athletic, so I have no spinal/muscular issues that are the culprate. I just have to stop and get out of this car anytime I'm driving over an hour, just to stretch and get circulation back in my legs. Long distance drives? Downright painful.