2005 Ford Escape Consumer Review: Research before buying

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Review

HEV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Research before buying
By What Savings??? on

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the Ford Hybrid without doing much research. I read the ads and believed them. My experience with driving the vechicle is far from the ads. The Hybrid I drive gets only 23 mpg average as opposed to the listed 33 to 29 on the sticker. My 93 Ford Explorer gets that kind of mileage, so I don't think it is my driving that is making the difference. In my opinion the design of the accelerator is the problem. The engine comes on when you accelerate too fast (they say). I accelerate at a creep (holding up traffic) and the engine comes on at 15 mph. The engine comes on if you turn on the AC or heater even more often than normal. With that, it is impossible to save gas, even in town.

The color looks nice... the five disc CD player is nice (to look at) but the car is so noisy I can't hear the sound system. Tire noise is very loud in the car.

The car needs to be kept in electric mode more to save any gas while in town. Sound proofing the car needs attention. The interior is uncomfortable. The seats are VERY firm making it a short riding vehicle at best. For the price I had to pay ($9,500 over MSRP) it should be like a LUXURY vehicle. Yes?