Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love it!
By Billabongguy

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape when i was thinking about buying a Kia Sorrento. I decided on the Escape because it had better creature comforts, nicer interior, and a lot more power! That little 3.0 with 220hp is fast responsive and I love it. I love the Mach audio system with the sub in the back. It thumps hard.

Favorite Features

The interior quality. The Awesome stereo. The get up and go power.

Suggested Improvements

I POD hookup, that's all

Mixed feelings
By Dwayne C

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We started having transmission problems at 20,000 miles. It would shift hard at around 40 MPH.We took it in (not at purchasing dealership)about ten times before they finally changed the transmission. I argued with the transmission mechanic that it was not right.They tried something different each time it was brought in. They adjusted the linkage, changed the spark plugs, changed the radiator, new torque converter, etc before changing the transmission. By this time the warranty was off and they wanted me to pay for it. After lots of arguing the dealer helped cover the cost above what Ford payed.There was 30,000 miles on the vehicle by the time this was done. Been running good ever since.

Favorite Features

Intelligent 4x4 (AWD), peppy engine

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel sits to far back

Lease be gone..yee haw!
By marsan5

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We just finished our lease on this SUV. Pro's are lots of cargo space, zippy around town and easy to drive. Con's are brakes not designed well for rural use, rotors and brakes non stop getting fixed, AWD got locked on one day on pavement. Bit of a gas pig. We had cloth seats and they stained if you looked at them! Three kids in the back is too crammed up. The door sills are too high, trapping mud and snow in like crazy. Cheap interior. The nerf bars stink in snow as they bottom you out, and when driving AWD when you get stuck, you are stuck!

Favorite Features

Zippy drive, cargo space huge.

Suggested Improvements

Spend money on the interior, and close up the brake system. Definitely not built for Canada as their ad so nicely says, opposite!

Practical Car
By Adam Grey

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Even though I would have liked to get something a little sexier, this car is as practical of car you can get. Having it be a stick shift helped make the car fun to drive and also allowed for better acceleration than most standard V6 cars. Never did I have one mechanical issue in the 68,000 miles that I drove it and it really does excellent on gas being it is a 4 banger. I think if you buy this car you will get a bargain as if this had a Toyota symbol on it it would be $5,000 more! I believe this car is a smart buy for those who are concerned about fuel economy, cargo space, and price.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats. Seat belt alert. 5 speed transmission. Cruise control

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Stay Away From 2005 Ford Escape
By txm

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cylinder engine in this car is extremely underpowered. It's especially worse in the summer when the air conditioning is on, then it becomes unsafe to drive, because when you need to accelerate, it just doesn't do anything for about 3-4 seconds and trying to accelerate when necessary would probably kill you in this vehicle. Also, the engine is very noisy, sounds like diesel engine. I have 60,000 miles on it. The fuel economy is terrible. I can't get any more than 20 mpg, not matter what I do. Stay away from this car.

Favorite Features

Styling.