Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 392 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great but has problems
By InspectoRob

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We Loved our 03 xlt so we bought an 05 Limited. We missed the selector switch for AWD, but the center console and LTD amenities made up for that. Wind noise is much better. Still has the annoying temperature problem - heater blows very hot or cool with no in-between. Fog/driving lights are better. At about 10k miles transmission would slip when gas was let up then back on while moving - Dealer said it was ok. Got worse over time. Plastic parts broke mysteriously - front wheel lip and a panel on the back hatch. The ABS module went - 100 miles after warranty. Fought with dealer and got it for reduced cost (Ford was No Help!) It just went again so we are trading today.

Great performance for an SUV, even towing! Style is nice. Comfortable. Spacious for it's size. EXCELLENT in the snow - Get snow tires or Pirelli Scorpion ATR for all year!

GAS MILEAGE! WARRANTY LENGTH! Stock tires are ok, but there are better replacements. Transmission (V6 w/auto) was bad, but our 03 XLT had a good trans (also a V6 w/auto).

Great SUV
By escape guy

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have really enjoyed our escape the last month. We got a great deal and for the money we couldn't have asked for a more useful SUV. Its great for us because where we live there isn't much room to park. We enjoy camping and the wilderness so the 4x4 will work out great for that.

All time 4x4. Fold down rear seat. 6 CD changer. Big tires and wheels. V6 power.

We payed 60 bucks to program a key at the dealership. Make keys and remotes easier to program and less expensive. Maybe a little more get up and go would be nice too.

Escape to Wherever you want
By rltotten

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape brand new. I take it up in the Colorado/New Mexico Mountains skiing and snowboarding. I love the space and gas mileage. 26 MPG avg have hit 28 mpg once. I wish this vehicle had daytime driving lights and better cup holders in the center console. The gas filing thing that others wrote about is true, Ford needs to change this design. I've flattened the rear seats and have hauled over a 1000 lbs of patio pavers at a time. This is a fun vehicle to drive and knock on wood I have had no major repairs to date. The seats do stain easy but also clean up just as easy. I would purchase another Escape no problem.

6 pack CD changer, sit nice and high while driving, seats flatten nicely, 26 mpg

Cup holders in center console, daytime running lights, and fix the gas tank filling port.

Great SUV
By bill lee

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looked far and wide for a 4 cyl/5 speed FWD. This is a great drivetrain. Have gotten 31 MPG several times. Overall I get 28+MPG on my mostly highway commute. Snow is no problem with FWD. I run good snow tires and have had no problems even in deep snow. Not as good as my old jeep but never got stuck. Get the 05 and up vs the 04 if you can. Much better interior design and the bigger 2.3 motor gives better performance and fuel milage. Looked at the Toyota and Honda, but were much more expensive and much smaller. My son is 6'3" and fits in the back with no problems. Also no $300-500 timing belt to worry about on these cars. Has been very reliable. 60,000 miles and no problems what so ever.

The stick. Very roomy interior and outstanding MPG of a car this size

The seats. They are pretty cheesey on the XLS with no up grade available. They remind me of seats out of a 70's 707 airplane.

Love it!
By Billabongguy

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape when i was thinking about buying a Kia Sorrento. I decided on the Escape because it had better creature comforts, nicer interior, and a lot more power! That little 3.0 with 220hp is fast responsive and I love it. I love the Mach audio system with the sub in the back. It thumps hard.

The interior quality. The Awesome stereo. The get up and go power.

I POD hookup, that's all