2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Cheap new car
By Cindy on 06/22/06 15:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Initially, I really liked my 05 Escape. 20,000 miles later, I cant wait to get rid of it. There are lots of noises a car only a year old shouldn't make. The steering wheel and brake pedal whistle, the windows rattle, gas tank has air in it, making it next to impossible to get a full tank of gas. The drivers side window makes a screeching noise when you roll it down. Gas mileage is terrible! I like the size and style just fine. It is cheaply made. Noisy. I drove a 15 year old Honda that was not as noisy as this new car. I owe more than the car is worth at the moment, so I am stuck with it or face losing thousands. No more Fords for me.

Terrific small SUV
By David McDonald on 05/15/06 05:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First time purchase of an SUV. Fun to drive and relatively cheap to operate. Highly recommend.

WELL PLEASED
By D LITTLE on 05/10/06 23:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my vehicle. My only complaint - some areas of craftsmanship appear rushed around doors and carpet areas. Also my shocks have small leak at only 22,000 miles.

WHAT A GREAT LITTLE SUV
By JOE BELVEDERE on 04/19/06 09:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Got rid of our Windstar minivan which had terrible (13-14) mpg. With the Escape's strong (and pretty quiet) 4 cylinder, we are getting 19 city and over 25 highway, and that's with the full time awd! Great ride, peppy performance, superior braking, solid handling. A real winner!

05 ESCAPE XLT with 75,000 miles
By JW on 04/08/06 19:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My Escape is a company car. At first I wasn't happy getting it, but after driving it 75,000 miles in 2 years, I now luv it. It has proven to be comfortable and reliable (I drive it aggressively). The V6 is torquey and quick. The interior design is functional and comfortable. I carry 4 adults, the rear passengers never complain.This SUV has been extremely reliable (NOTHING has broken) and seems indestructible when driven hard regularly. I've taken it off road a few times; the AWD was all I need to get through the deep mud. A snow storm dumped 25" and this SUV drove through unplowed roads and snow mounds without a problem.This SUV has proven to be tough, comfortable, reliable, speedy, and sporty. I recommend it.

Love my Escape!
By Michael on 04/07/06 07:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 05 Escape. It looks a lot better than the previous years. It has an excellent ride (no bounce like other Fords usually have) and great pickup! I love the room inside. I think it could have better gas mileage. I get average 19 mpg (I drive about half city and highway). I would really recommend this car. 30,000 miles, and not a problem so far (knock on wood).

Super SAFE in Snow!
By jenny on 03/11/06 19:00 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Escape AWD for just over a year and have almost 50k miles on it. I love it. It might not be fancy, but it is safe and reliable in just about any situation I come across, from curb jumping in the city to icy rural highways. It has never slipped on me in the snow--I laugh when I see jJeeps sliding off the side of the road and I am still chugging along! Plenty of power to pass going up steep mountains.

This truck is Horrible!
By Mary on 03/05/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this Escape in May 2005 and in August began hearing a creaking noise coming from the back. This truck has been in the shop a few times for a total of 3 1/2 weeks; the mount needed work. I still hear creaking from the back, the window makes noise and the door creaks. This is the noisiest truck ever and I get 15 MPG! I am so sorry that I went from Nissan to Ford.

Not too bad, not the best....
By DMedic911 on 02/27/06 07:21 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Escape LTD for almost two years now and have not had any problems with it. Very comfortable and nice to drive. Not disappointed in my purchase, but would not purchase another one and ready for a change 2 years later. Biggest complaint is gas mileage at an average of 11-12 mpg in the city. I think a full sized truck with a large V8, pulling a motorhome could do better. Resale value not held over two years with only 11k miles.

Best small SUV in its CLASS
By Robby D on 02/17/06 17:49 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car to help save on gas and boy it sure did so. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. This has been the best bang for the my buck to date. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for to save on gas; has enough interior room and has all the gadgets that you will need.