Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Mile high ride
By Ray Salinas

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape is easy to drive and the AUTO AWD with bigger tires handles well in snow and off-road driving in the Colorado mountains. Very responsive steering and braking - I avoided an accident when another car blindly merged into my lane and I had to react quickly by braking and steering away from the other driver to avoid a collision. Escape is very responsive. Large cargo space for our two dogs but would prefer a rear power window. Small SUV with roomy interior and powerful V6.

Good factory 6 CD changer/sound system. Easy to park, tight turning ratio. Good looking interior and exterior. Gold Ash Mettallic color looks good.

Continental tires are too noisy on certain roads. Stronger seatbelt recoil. Bigger side mirrors. Better gas mileage getting 19/23 MPG.

Run away fast!
By Forditaboutit

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for only two years. It developed a problem with the spark plugs that caused it to die (momentarily) when I hit 70. A thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then the transmission went. Two thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then, just last week, a piston rod broke free and destroyed the engine. This car was less than five years old, and had less than 100,000 miles on it. Never again. I am done trying to support the domestic auto industry. I don't expect much from a car. But I certainly expect more than the Escape provided.

Everything about this vehicle is pretty well put together, except the engine. Too bad that is such an important part, as I loved the car.

Either provide a standard warranty that covers the bad workmanship of the engine, or FIX THE DESIGN OF THE ENGINE. The Ford mechanic who pronounced mine dead said that he saw one Escape throw a rod inside the first 500 miles on the road, and that wrecked engines under 50,000 were not too uncommon.

Great but has problems
By InspectoRob

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We Loved our 03 xlt so we bought an 05 Limited. We missed the selector switch for AWD, but the center console and LTD amenities made up for that. Wind noise is much better. Still has the annoying temperature problem - heater blows very hot or cool with no in-between. Fog/driving lights are better. At about 10k miles transmission would slip when gas was let up then back on while moving - Dealer said it was ok. Got worse over time. Plastic parts broke mysteriously - front wheel lip and a panel on the back hatch. The ABS module went - 100 miles after warranty. Fought with dealer and got it for reduced cost (Ford was No Help!) It just went again so we are trading today.

Great performance for an SUV, even towing! Style is nice. Comfortable. Spacious for it's size. EXCELLENT in the snow - Get snow tires or Pirelli Scorpion ATR for all year!

GAS MILEAGE! WARRANTY LENGTH! Stock tires are ok, but there are better replacements. Transmission (V6 w/auto) was bad, but our 03 XLT had a good trans (also a V6 w/auto).

Great SUV
By escape guy

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have really enjoyed our escape the last month. We got a great deal and for the money we couldn't have asked for a more useful SUV. Its great for us because where we live there isn't much room to park. We enjoy camping and the wilderness so the 4x4 will work out great for that.

All time 4x4. Fold down rear seat. 6 CD changer. Big tires and wheels. V6 power.

We payed 60 bucks to program a key at the dealership. Make keys and remotes easier to program and less expensive. Maybe a little more get up and go would be nice too.

Escape to Wherever you want
By rltotten

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape brand new. I take it up in the Colorado/New Mexico Mountains skiing and snowboarding. I love the space and gas mileage. 26 MPG avg have hit 28 mpg once. I wish this vehicle had daytime driving lights and better cup holders in the center console. The gas filing thing that others wrote about is true, Ford needs to change this design. I've flattened the rear seats and have hauled over a 1000 lbs of patio pavers at a time. This is a fun vehicle to drive and knock on wood I have had no major repairs to date. The seats do stain easy but also clean up just as easy. I would purchase another Escape no problem.

6 pack CD changer, sit nice and high while driving, seats flatten nicely, 26 mpg

Cup holders in center console, daytime running lights, and fix the gas tank filling port.