Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
Run away fast!
By Forditaboutit

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for only two years. It developed a problem with the spark plugs that caused it to die (momentarily) when I hit 70. A thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then the transmission went. Two thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then, just last week, a piston rod broke free and destroyed the engine. This car was less than five years old, and had less than 100,000 miles on it. Never again. I am done trying to support the domestic auto industry. I don't expect much from a car. But I certainly expect more than the Escape provided.

Favorite Features

Everything about this vehicle is pretty well put together, except the engine. Too bad that is such an important part, as I loved the car.

Suggested Improvements

Either provide a standard warranty that covers the bad workmanship of the engine, or FIX THE DESIGN OF THE ENGINE. The Ford mechanic who pronounced mine dead said that he saw one Escape throw a rod inside the first 500 miles on the road, and that wrecked engines under 50,000 were not too uncommon.

Don't bother with the base 4 cylinder
By bsumorgan

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I got a job where I needed to carry stuff for work and I also needed to haul our small family around in the winter. The ford escape seemed like a perfect fit. It drove well enough, but the 4 cylinder is just plain lethargic. At low gears it's all right, but in second and third, well, you had better not be making emergency maneuvers. The arm rests are hard and unforgiving. I didn't like the position of the seats relative to the floor. The 4WD, however, was FANTASTIC! I could drive like a complete idiot on snow and ice, and it didn't matter. Ford AWD is much better than the AWD that I had in the Saturn Vue I bought after owning this. My advice: get the nicer trim level with the 6 cyl and 4wd.

Favorite Features

4wd

Suggested Improvements

Sound system is pretty poor on the base model. Mileage was disappointing with the 4cyl. Why bother with it?

Mile high ride
By Ray Salinas

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape is easy to drive and the AUTO AWD with bigger tires handles well in snow and off-road driving in the Colorado mountains. Very responsive steering and braking - I avoided an accident when another car blindly merged into my lane and I had to react quickly by braking and steering away from the other driver to avoid a collision. Escape is very responsive. Large cargo space for our two dogs but would prefer a rear power window. Small SUV with roomy interior and powerful V6.

Favorite Features

Good factory 6 CD changer/sound system. Easy to park, tight turning ratio. Good looking interior and exterior. Gold Ash Mettallic color looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Continental tires are too noisy on certain roads. Stronger seatbelt recoil. Bigger side mirrors. Better gas mileage getting 19/23 MPG.

Rust Issues
By alexm80

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 Ford Escape off of craigslist knowing full well that it came with rust issues. At the time we bought it, the rust looked to be only cosmetic. But about after about 10 months, the rear right wheel well began to rust through and then rust away. Some of inner portion of the wheel well was gone and you could see the material used to line the inside of the vehicle. As a result, the rear right shock was barely hanging on and every time you hit a bump just right, there was a very loud popping sound coming from the area. Quotes to fix it were between $700 and $1600.

Favorite Features

Previous owners installed a DVD player, but it kinda messed up the electrical system and the lights the were supposed to light up when the headlights were turned on, no longer did.

Suggested Improvements

Rust was an issue, so I suggest a material/treatment that can with stand tough Wisconsin winters and salted roads.

New to me
By tulareave

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased a 2005 Ford Escape XLT, and so far it has been great! I have had to have a few things replaced but that's to be expected at 85000 plus miles. The negative is the road noise! Wholy cow, I am looking for tires to help lessen it. I wish it had a few more bells and whistles but for me right now it seems to be working out just fine. I have for the most part only purchased fords Im hoping this one does not disappoint. Hoping to get the 2013 eventually. I

Favorite Features

I love, love, love the sun roof! The radio isn't half bad either. Cargo space is great as well.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise! Not super bad. Also heard that there is know glitch with a fuse that causes the vehicle to completely shut down. After much research heard this comment quite a lot but Ford has not acknowledged it as a recall. Clearly not a driver thing, a builder thing. Not a fan of the easily stained seats, not super comfortable but tolerable.