Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I love it
By Tom

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

The rear hatch can open and the glass can open seperately than the hatch so that you do not have to open the door to put stuff in the back.

Putting gas in sometimes is annoying, I do not know if it is just mine but you really have to fight it to get it actually filled.

Disappointed again
By Cheryl

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2002 Escape at 38K mi. due to too many major repairs (torque converter, manifold, bearings, struts - to name a few) with a 2005 Escape with an extended warranty. After 3 months there was a leak in the gas line. At 60K mi. the torque converter and sunroof motor went up. Now at 65K mi. the ABS sensor went up ($700+ to repair). Sometimes I hear a crunching sound in the rear when I make turns or go over bumps. I have only done street/highway driving. All maintenance has been done on schedule by a Ford dealer. I will not buy another Ford.

Privacy glass, storage compartment in rear, overall appearance.

Redesign the back seat headrests as they cause blind spots. A bigger fuel tank.

Mile high ride
By Ray Salinas

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape is easy to drive and the AUTO AWD with bigger tires handles well in snow and off-road driving in the Colorado mountains. Very responsive steering and braking - I avoided an accident when another car blindly merged into my lane and I had to react quickly by braking and steering away from the other driver to avoid a collision. Escape is very responsive. Large cargo space for our two dogs but would prefer a rear power window. Small SUV with roomy interior and powerful V6.

Good factory 6 CD changer/sound system. Easy to park, tight turning ratio. Good looking interior and exterior. Gold Ash Mettallic color looks good.

Continental tires are too noisy on certain roads. Stronger seatbelt recoil. Bigger side mirrors. Better gas mileage getting 19/23 MPG.

Run away fast!
By Forditaboutit

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for only two years. It developed a problem with the spark plugs that caused it to die (momentarily) when I hit 70. A thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then the transmission went. Two thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then, just last week, a piston rod broke free and destroyed the engine. This car was less than five years old, and had less than 100,000 miles on it. Never again. I am done trying to support the domestic auto industry. I don't expect much from a car. But I certainly expect more than the Escape provided.

Everything about this vehicle is pretty well put together, except the engine. Too bad that is such an important part, as I loved the car.

Either provide a standard warranty that covers the bad workmanship of the engine, or FIX THE DESIGN OF THE ENGINE. The Ford mechanic who pronounced mine dead said that he saw one Escape throw a rod inside the first 500 miles on the road, and that wrecked engines under 50,000 were not too uncommon.

Great but has problems
By InspectoRob

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We Loved our 03 xlt so we bought an 05 Limited. We missed the selector switch for AWD, but the center console and LTD amenities made up for that. Wind noise is much better. Still has the annoying temperature problem - heater blows very hot or cool with no in-between. Fog/driving lights are better. At about 10k miles transmission would slip when gas was let up then back on while moving - Dealer said it was ok. Got worse over time. Plastic parts broke mysteriously - front wheel lip and a panel on the back hatch. The ABS module went - 100 miles after warranty. Fought with dealer and got it for reduced cost (Ford was No Help!) It just went again so we are trading today.

Great performance for an SUV, even towing! Style is nice. Comfortable. Spacious for it's size. EXCELLENT in the snow - Get snow tires or Pirelli Scorpion ATR for all year!

GAS MILEAGE! WARRANTY LENGTH! Stock tires are ok, but there are better replacements. Transmission (V6 w/auto) was bad, but our 03 XLT had a good trans (also a V6 w/auto).