Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

A worthwhile purchase
By PhilFromDetroit

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this SUV for two years, buying at the 24,000 mile mark and now at 42,000 miles. We have not had any unexpected problems except one: the rear tailgate started to rust. The dealer fixed that. Replaced front discs at 40K and the Conti's at 40K. Otherwise no problems to report. It's surefooted in MI winters. On extended Highway driving it got almost 24 MPG, but in extended stop and go it's getting about 16 MPG.

Favorite Features

The leather seats were comfortable enough for me to spend 18 hours in them for a single day, 800 mile driving marathon.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Better rustproofing on the rear tailgate.

Big Problems
By george-e

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car. Aside from the transmission going out at 50k! Had a nice Mit. Galant with over 100k still ran great, but I just thought I should get something newer.

Favorite Features

auto 4x4. Front bucket seats. Six cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

See Toyota, and Nissan.

Escape has definitely proven itself
By bw

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape in Alaska in 2005. It worked GREAT in the snow and gets good mileage. Loaded it full of stuff (so much that the rear suspension was sagging) and drove it to Minnesota in 2006, no problems. Packed it up again and drove it to Maryland in 2009. She's still running great with 95,000 miles. I replaced the stock tires at 80,000 miles and just replaced the front pads/rotors a week ago. The original brakes were on the edge of failing, but they gave me no problems for 95,000 miles. It ain't fancy but it's come a long way! I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Great AWD system, 30+ mpg on long road trips, no mechanical issues whatsoever (knock on wood).

Suggested Improvements

2.3L engine works well most of the time but more power would be great. Paint is chipping off on rear of the roof to expose primer, and a couple rust spots developing. Light that illuminates the shift letters (P, N, D, R, etc) went out at about 60,000 miles, very minor.

I love it
By Tom

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

Favorite Features

The rear hatch can open and the glass can open seperately than the hatch so that you do not have to open the door to put stuff in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Putting gas in sometimes is annoying, I do not know if it is just mine but you really have to fight it to get it actually filled.

Disappointed again
By Cheryl

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2002 Escape at 38K mi. due to too many major repairs (torque converter, manifold, bearings, struts - to name a few) with a 2005 Escape with an extended warranty. After 3 months there was a leak in the gas line. At 60K mi. the torque converter and sunroof motor went up. Now at 65K mi. the ABS sensor went up ($700+ to repair). Sometimes I hear a crunching sound in the rear when I make turns or go over bumps. I have only done street/highway driving. All maintenance has been done on schedule by a Ford dealer. I will not buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Privacy glass, storage compartment in rear, overall appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the back seat headrests as they cause blind spots. A bigger fuel tank.