Used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Hybrid for the highway driver
By CJS

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was going to buy a Toyota Highlander, but after comparing the two wound up with the Escape. This is my first American vehicle and I've been surprisingly happy with it considering how much I've hated some US-made rental cars. The interior controls are comfortingly similar to the Mazda I gave up (probably due to the fact that Escape was originally a joint Ford-Mazda project). The shift between gas and electric is imperceptible unless you're looking at the tach. The CVT and regenerative brakes give the car a slightly different feel than other cars, but not in a bad way. I do a lot of highway driving (24,000 miles a year) and have 6,000 miles in 3 months.

Gas mileage: I get around 30/31 mpg with minimal stop and go driving, 29 mpg on highway road trips. Stop and go driving makes the mileage go up. Traffic jams can be fun! Cargo space: smaller than the Toyota Highlander, but flatter and better for my purposes (traveling with a couple of large dogs).

As mentioned on other reviews, the drivers side seat belt could use a stronger recoil. The interior dome light needs to be further forward for easier access from the front seats. The ignition switch should have a courtesy light. Otherwise it's got all the conveniences that I expect.

The Wave is here
By Jerry Williams

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a certified master mechanic and a service director for three states. I have handled a lot of car complaints and driven a lot of cars and trucks. I ordered a new Ford hybrid about 6 months ago, and just got it. But it was well worth the wait. This is the quietest SUV, car, truck or anything that I have ever driven. It has to be an engineering breakthrough for Ford. It has power enough to pull up to 4,800 pounds (my boats and mowing equipment). I can tow it behind my motor home with all four wheels on the ground. I can get on the freeway very quickly. All the power you need. The warranty is 100,000 or 8 years drivetrain and battery.

The gas mileage. The warranty. The power. The feel of the SUV as you drive down the road. The 6 disk radio, standard all power locks and windows and cruise control. Very good price. The service intervals of 10,000 miles. Everything about this SUV is above and beyond my expectations.

The a/c requires a little getting used to.

It is fun to drive it!
By L.Castillo

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For starters it's the first time I don't see the car I am driving all over! It's unique since I got a rare exterior color one. Unlike Priuses that are all over it seems. But in what matters, it is still an SUV. I fit inside and I am a big guy, and uphill, it does NOT cower. True, one has to learn how to drive all over again, not be heavy on the gas or the brakes. There is assistance there that was not available before. What I cannot understand is why Ford is not gearing that Kansas plant to produce more of these babies. Until Toyota brings out the Highlander (overpriced if you ask me) they had the market for themselves! I love it, period! p.s. I have THE red one.

The looks. It looks sharp!

Like all Fords, the interior detailing could be improved. The screen on the satellite navigation always gets the comment: "why that small?" although I say it is fine. As usual the INTELLIGENCE behind the navigation is, well, artificial. If you know the best way; follow your brain.

Hybrid SUV -- Feels Like Cheating
By Bullwinkle

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I simply love my Escape Hybrid. I have all the room I need for the wife, 2 kids, and the dog in the back, and yet I regularly get fuel economy close to 30 mpg average per tank.

The hybrid is amazing. It's also roomy, and the stereo is lovely.

I wish it were a bit more high-tech. Bluetooth, better navigation, and a towing package would be great.

Not too bad for Ford's first attempt
By Camper

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living in Michigan, you get dirty looks and raised eyebrows if you don't buy American. Michigan is also very spread out, with my daily commute being 35 miles each way, mostly freeway. This SUV is just a regular 4 cylinder car at freeway speeds (70 mph), with no benefit of fuel economy. Engine sounds terrible at 70 mph. But it is great for city driving (particularly stop and go traffic). Ford says the towing capacity is only 750 lbs., which is very non-SUV like. We would not buy this again. Toyota Highlander hybrid is coming, and we are trading in the Ford for Toyota. The Toyota is much more comfortable and can tow our 1500 lb. pop up camper. So much for the eyebrows.

I like the Navigation system with fuel economy display, but not for the price. Engine shuts down at traffic lights and when waiting in parking lots.

More options (moonroof, puddle lights, 6 cylinder hybrid) and heavier towing capacity.