2005 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Not bad but needs improvements
By Nolan

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 05 XLT AWD 3.0L with 25000 miles on it and its been very good on road and off road whether its snow or mud. I've read alot of complaints about noise level of tires, I can't say I agree I find it very quiet with the OEM tires on it. I installed a K&N air filter which gave me on average a noticeable increase on fuel mileage per tank.

Favorite Features

I like the extend able roof rack and towing package.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel tank needs to be bigger Comes off fuel very fast, poor design in fuel tank. My biggest complaint is the center console is very noisy, rest you arm on it and it creaks every time the vehicle moves.

Ford Escape
By Heather

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love the size, look, gas mileage! However road noise is an issue. If it were not for that I would give it a perfect score. If Ford could decrease road noise this would compete with Honda CRV,and Toyota Rav 4 hands down. I looked at those too, but chose the Ford because of the economical price. However the road noise can be annoying. My husband is thinking about pulling up the carpet and putting down a noise pad to see if it helps. So, maybe ford could try that! I love the look and gas mileage and have had zero mechanincal issues and it has 80K miles on it now. I love the fact that there is no tire on the back..that is why I nixed the CRV and Rav 4.

Favorite Features

Look, size, gas mileage. Simple AC buttons..no stupid computer lights to worry about. I hate all that fancy stuff that breaks and then costs a fortune to fix!

Suggested Improvements

Road noise!

Not happy
By highlander

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new in 2004. No major problems for the first 40k miles other than the "fragile" paint. It is covered with pain chips that form rust almost immediately. Next I had brake problems that were repaired free due to a service bulletin on the rotors. The spare tire release rusted out and was replaced. The seat cloth is easy to stain/hard to clean. Headlight has developed condensation problem - will be replaced shortly. The engine is now drinking antifreeze. Can't find any leaking so it must be a more severe problem. Driver side door seal torn apart due to a poorly placed screw in the door trim. Overall I'm not happy with my Ford Escape and will not be a repeat customer.

Favorite Features

Responsive, peppy driving. Decent fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders are placed too far under the middle console lid. Front headrests tilt forward a little much for me. Paint chipping is terrible with rust appearing quickly. Gas tank too small/difficult to pump gas due to shut off problem. Seat material is hard to clean. Spare tire release rusts out

I Love my Escape!
By Smurfette

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my Escape! I am really happy that I bought it, especially as a college student traveling back and forth between campus and home. In fact, I was almost able to pack my brother's entire dorm room in my car. The car is very nice looking, it handles well, has plenty of power under the hood, and is easy to control. I would recommend this car to anybody.

Favorite Features

I love the headlights for some reason! And I love how the seats fold down and create loads of space.

Suggested Improvements

Even though I have the XLT, (4wd, 6 cylinder, electric driver seat, 6 CD stereo), I still feel that it lacks in luxury. I wish I had lighted mirrors, and maybe even some cup holders in the back. It is more of a truck than an SUV.

Likable SUV
By Good SUV

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've never really been a Ford advocate, but I think they got it right with this vehicle. This thing does great loaded for 4 full size adults in the Rocky Mtns. As a matter of fact, it runs better in the mountains than my Mitsu Galant GTZ sports sedan. The vehicle clearance and stock tires are great for offroad. I've had this vehicle offroad several times with no issues, and the AWD works great in the deep mud and rocky trails. The Mach Stereo is surprisingly good. Overall, I would recommend this car to a friend or family member.

Favorite Features

Rear sensors, stereo, high clearance

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Best Fit
By olcrank

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does all we want it to. Also have a 4WD 2003 Escape w/no problems. These vehicles are the most practicle,easy-to-drive,comfortable on the road. I drove all kinds of SUV's and pickups over a 35 year career as a mine inspector in the central Mt's. of PA (the last being a 2001 Escape). 45,000 miles of mud,dust,water and with regular maintenance no problems.Sure,it wouldn't go some of the places a Jeep could( didn't have the ground clearance)but I was impressed enough to replace two personal cars- a Durango and a Cherokee with the Escapes and have never been sorry.

Favorite Features

Seating position, easy to drive,visibility, cargo area, styling, 24MPG, size is just right.

Suggested Improvements

OEM Contitrac tires pick up stones,gravel,screws,nails.

Awsome SUV
By nelson

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

It has been very good SUV so far. I put a KN air filter and it runs better with it. NO major work so far, only oil changes and a fuel filter. Tires are loud. I would rather put Goodyear tires when the stock ones need replacing. I get about 19mpg around town and 24mpg highway.

Favorite Features

4Wheel drive and V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank

Ride to Escape
By winnie

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

An excellent vehicle in all respects. The only complaint is the tires. Highway noise is bothersome at any speed. After two long trips we changed to Michelin and solved the noise problem.

Suggested Improvements

Tires with less road noise.

2005 XLT FWD V6
By mec1974

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I first saw the Escape in 2000 when they first came out and was amazed with how peppy they are. Bought a used '05 with 18K miles. The dealer had several 'Limited' editions on the lot with better options but I opted for one with the No Boundaries package with cloth. I like the more aggressive look of the roof rack and the black fender flares. It does drive somewhat like a truck, but I like that. You sit a little higher in traffic, which I like, and makes me feel safer. I did not want the AWD because my wife had an AWD SUV and the gas mileage was horrible. Plus, here in Texas 4x4 and AWD really are not necessary.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard options. 6 disc changer, strong A/C. Mine has two- tone cloth seats, very good looking and appear to be durable.

Suggested Improvements

The door locks seem backwards. 'Locked' has the switch sticking out while 'open' has the switch flush with the door.

Let the fun times roll!
By jdsh2

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Escape. I have a black XLT Sport package. It has great pickup, it's roomy, and it's sporty and stylish. I agonized over buying this vehicle and I am so incredibly happy I did. I looked at the Mazda Tribute and even though they are made on similar lines, the Escape is peppier, has better dash setup, etc. I could go on and on. I have 5 friends that have them and they all love them too! That speaks volumes to me.

Favorite Features

Almost everything.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cupholders and make the windows go all the way down into the doors.