Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

9 months in on 2005 V6 2wd
By invictarocks

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after a lot of research on Subaru Forrester, RAV4, Honda CRV and the Escape. I did some test drives, and the Forrester was the fastest and funnest, but a little small, and my buying decision came right after a bad experience with a Subaru dealership. The RAV4 seat was unbearable in the "fold down, kicking back" position, and sitting on the back with the hatch up was designed OUT of the model years I was looking at. I didn't like the way the RAV4 looked driving down the road from behind, as the rear suspension didn't inspire much confidence. I LOVE my Escape, and it's styling. The gas mileage was a little disappointing at 20.

MACH stereo is really good; fold flat rear seats are great, and the V6 has more than enough power. Seems faster than the later (heavier?) models with the 240hp.

They've taken care of the two biggest complaints, which were the transmission and the Gas fill triggering some pumps to shut off prematurely.

great so far....just got it a month ago
By lotekgirl

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded in my '01 Intrepid for this '05 Escape. So far my husband and I are very pleased with it. This vehicle is great if you are looking to step up to your first SUV from a car. The Escape is very responsive; it drives and handles great. I agree with other reviewers about filling the gas tank: it is annoying because you can't just put the nozzle in, lock it in place and walk away. It always clicks off a few seconds later so I have to stand there and hold it, which I never had to do with my car. The gas mileage on the v6 isn't that great. I'm constantly filling my gas tank (city driving about 90% of the time). the ignition could have been more well placed (odd spot, have to search).

6 disc changer, get the upgraded roof rack & running boards, responsive, no trouble hauling materials, perfect height for getting in and out comfortably (I'm 5'10), seats fold down easily for storage

place the ignition in a better spot, the steering wheel should be able to move up higher when you release the latch so larger people can get in and out easier, fix the issue with the gas tank

Keeps Working Hard
By WNYFordGuy

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Apr 05, this is my wife's daily driver. It has 70k miles, and runs like new again after repairing damage to the front susp (wheel bearings and sway bar links) caused by the harsh upstate WNY roads at 58k. I was disappointed that the Uni joints failed shortly afterwards (61k), along w/ the rear wiper (63k), and ABS sensors and rear shocks (67k) - $$$! But it's great in the snow, and gets pretty good gas mileage w/ the 2.3L 4 cyl 5-spd manual. Replaced the orig General tires w/ Goodyear Fortera SilentArmors at 41k, though I probably could have gotten 4k-10k more out of the Generals (which weren't anywhere near as bad/noisy as the reviewers claim the Continental Contitracs are)

5-spd manual tranny, exterior styling & color (vivid blue), smooth ride for a small SUV, roomy interior for 4, v. good gas mileage (avg 22 MPG highway+city).

Replace the low-budget cloth material for the seats on the XLS that get stained by everything - the selling dealer admitted the fabric was a problem on the XLS! Could use a more powerful 4-banger - I wish you could buy a new Escape AWD w/a 5-spd. I don't care much for the fnt/rear wiper controls.

A Welcome Escape
By Rod Minnesota

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As of October 2009, my wife has 153,000 miles on her 2005 Escape. She loves the vehicle and I appreciate its relatively low cost of ownership. Only repair that we have had has been two door latches replaced - not sure why they are plastic.

AWD Ride height Performance Good gas mileage for AWD 22-26 mpg Ease of owner oil changes (Mobil One)

Better door latches Revland Alignment in Wanamingo, MN told us about alignment issues, so when we purchased new set of tires, we had them install and align. The Escape is quieter and handles better then new. Ford dealer's prior alignments had not resolved issues.

Crappy Sun Visor
By Wojo

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Although almost everything on my Escape Hybrid is great I have had problems with the sun visors since I bought it. On the driver's side, where I need it the most, it has come loose and had to be replaced about once every two years! As it is no longer under warranty it is about $100 to do this, which is in itself outrageous. Although I like the vehicle, if Ford can not fix this I will be looking into a different vehicle. I refuse to pay this for a problem that has been identified by many and not fixed.

Pretty good gas mileage for an SUV.

Recall and install better quality sun visors.