2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Love it
By erica27 on 07/17/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Escape for almost a year and a half and I absolutely love it! I am a senior in college and it's everything and more I could want in a car! My previous vehicles were sedans and the Escape drives like a car, but I love sitting higher in traffic and would not trade this car for anything! I hit a deer a few months ago and I know that I would have been injured if I were in a sedan. It is so spacious. I am now the designated driver on road trips, but it's well worth it because all my friends love the car too and we all fit comfortably! I plan on graduating college and heading off into the real world in this vehicle!

Almost the best car I have ever had
By Lefthandedlex on 07/17/08 14:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Retirement age is in sight so I have had quite a few cars to compare to. In 3 years I put almost 62000 miles. It is an automatic 4 cyl AWD. It is peppy I have gotten 31 mpg on rare occasions but usually 28 on avg. Except for normal maint it has only seen the dealership once for a very minor issue. Took a long weekend trip almost 5 hours one way with 4 adults and the roof rack stuffed to the gills and still got 25 mpg. Only thing I miss is leather seats. The cloth seats stain easy but so far nothing that I could not get out. Looking forward to another 60000 at least.

Not bad
By acceptable on 07/07/08 06:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle Jan 06 after having a base Taurus. I like the zippyness I get from this 4cyl 5 speed. Gas mileage is great for an SUV at 27 hwy summer and 24 hwy winter here in MN. As read in other reviews can't stand the poor quality paint but to go along with design we do travel on some gravel roads and when wet or muddy the doors in the rear will get mud and dirt between them and the inside - my other vehicles never had this and I think this is terrible. I am quite conscious of this so I make sure to clean this area afterward because I don't want it to rust out before its time

Fun combined with economy
By JP on 07/02/08 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this Escape wanting enough room for 4 adults, cargo room and good gas mileage. Bingo! Our Escape seems to be stuck at 27 + miles to a gallon! even with more than half city driving. We packed it full to travel to an out of state wedding , left one side of the rear seat up for our grandson and had room to spare. Its great fun to drive, responsive and handles well. In fairness there is a whistling noise ( maybe roof racks) when traveling on the freeway, and the running boards are not only useless but an actual pain since you cant use them to get in- you have to crawl over them muddying your jeans as you straddle them.

The Great Escape
By JaLester on 05/28/08 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We really love our Escape. It has been nothing short of amazing, and I am so glad we didn't buy something else. The Escape is very reliable, handles great and looks good.

Good portability
By mike on 03/21/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Escape in 06 to replace my 04 full size Sierra. Hoping to save on gas. Well I do a little bit but not as much as they claimed I would. Being a carpenter I needed something I can pack full of tools. I can do that pretty easliy with the Escape. I love how I can basically eliminate the rear seats altogther to create that flat bed back there. I don't like the cheap plastic bumper that dosn't hold up well to cold weather or minor bumps. At 63,000 miles its is now making a "drive line whine" is what the dealers say it is and it's nothing to worry about. So that's kinda annoying. The gas tank is very annoying as well as I find myself having to hold the pump the entire time.

Trading in
By Trading in on 01/16/08 07:55 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 XLD AWD Escape used in March '05 with 17,000 miles on it. As others have written, we have had problems filling up the gas tank. Gas nozzle keeps shutting off which drives my husband nuts. Started having problems with the brakes at about 50K. Mechanic replaced tires, rotated tires and put on new brake pads which solved the problem for only a little while. It probably needs new rotors, but at only 2 yrs old with 57K miles on it and 3 years left on the loan, we decided to trade it in for an older car with less miles that we could pay off sooner at $100 less/month. Overall though, this was a good car, preformed very well in the snow with the smart AWD but hard on gas.

Not bad but needs improvements
By Nolan on 01/12/08 20:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 05 XLT AWD 3.0L with 25000 miles on it and its been very good on road and off road whether its snow or mud. I've read alot of complaints about noise level of tires, I can't say I agree I find it very quiet with the OEM tires on it. I installed a K&N air filter which gave me on average a noticeable increase on fuel mileage per tank.

Ford Escape
By Heather on 11/24/07 04:43 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love the size, look, gas mileage! However road noise is an issue. If it were not for that I would give it a perfect score. If Ford could decrease road noise this would compete with Honda CRV,and Toyota Rav 4 hands down. I looked at those too, but chose the Ford because of the economical price. However the road noise can be annoying. My husband is thinking about pulling up the carpet and putting down a noise pad to see if it helps. So, maybe ford could try that! I love the look and gas mileage and have had zero mechanincal issues and it has 80K miles on it now. I love the fact that there is no tire on the back..that is why I nixed the CRV and Rav 4.

Not happy
By highlander on 11/20/07 06:47 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new in 2004. No major problems for the first 40k miles other than the "fragile" paint. It is covered with pain chips that form rust almost immediately. Next I had brake problems that were repaired free due to a service bulletin on the rotors. The spare tire release rusted out and was replaced. The seat cloth is easy to stain/hard to clean. Headlight has developed condensation problem - will be replaced shortly. The engine is now drinking antifreeze. Can't find any leaking so it must be a more severe problem. Driver side door seal torn apart due to a poorly placed screw in the door trim. Overall I'm not happy with my Ford Escape and will not be a repeat customer.