Used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid
By Dawn Burrell

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape Hybrid is excellent on gas, fun to drive, and awesome in snowy weather. Overall, I like the car's performance, and was surprised when I floored it how fast it accelerated. I bought the car and will have it for the next 5 years and will definitely buy the 2010 model.

Favorite Features

I wish it would go faster on the electric battery only, just because I get unbelievable mileage. The SUV has a sharp look to it, especially after I had Ford put a brush guard and bug deflector on it. Also, the sound system is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see lighted vanity mirrors, a sunroof, and heated seats. I would also like arm rests (I am 5'5").

Escape Hybrid Seen in LA
By Mark

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Within hours of the announcement, I was aware that Ford was going to produce a Escape Hybrid. Well, their Kansas City Assembly Plant did produce a well built vehicle, beautiful vehicle that delivers great gas mileage. The Hybrid has indeed delivered on it's promise of improved gas mileage, but as usual not to the EPA specs. The vehicle is so quiet that pedestrians are unaware it is running. My dealership recognized that the premiums other dealers were demanding was killing sales; I got mine without the premium. Unlike others I did not have to wait, picked mine on the lot on day of visit. All that and it looks better than a Prius.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, gas mileage, GPS Navigation.

Suggested Improvements

Console storage space is lacking, Ford has included a 110v outlet that takes up valuable driving area storage space. Larger NAV system screen and use a touch screen, NAV DVD. Bluetooth would be nice, it is a simple feature to add. Auto Climate Control, exterior temperature. Air conditioning needs improving.

Good Mileage and Fun to Drive
By Jim in DC

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I expected to get better gas mileage, but did not expect the actual mileage to be within the "published" range. However I AM getting between 29-33 mpg on a regular basis. The display module showing constant fuel economy, and the GPS navigation make the vehicle FUN.. Also the sound system is much better that I expected from a factory built-in. All in all, a really fun vehicle to drive, with good gas mileage (and a lot of questions from potential buyers everywhere I go).

Favorite Features

Navigation system and hybrid technology.

Sonic Blue First Review
By jomomma

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 78 year old mother bought this sonic blue hybrid SUV. She is still trying to figure out some of the technology, but loves it. Seats could be a little more "cushiony"; pretty firm, for an older lady with not much fat (and me too), more plumpness in the seating would be nice. Was told it has "intelligent 4WD", meaning it puts itself into 4WD when it needs to; would be nice to have a light or something on the instrument panel that shows when it is actually in 4WD. But so far we love this little hybrid SUV! Oh yeah, sometimes there is a pretty loud "thump" when the electric engine kicks in, like while sitting at a light, that kinda freaks you out, I thought what the heck just hit my car?

Favorite Features

Electric engine takes getting used to driving. It's really weird when backing up and sitting at a stop light, you don't hear a thing. Very quiet electric motor, don't know it's running half the time. Comfortable ride .So fun to drive, handles like a dream!

Suggested Improvements

Plump up the seats cushioning. Add a light on the instrument panel showing when it has intelligently placed itself in 4WD. Fix the "thump" of the electric engine kicking in; it is quite disconcerting when you are sitting still, sounds like something hit the car.

Great Performance
By zadscmc

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second hybrid, the first with a CVT. After getting "used" to how the transmission drives the car, the characteristics of electric assist, and the general drive of the SUV, we are now averaging well over 30 MPG. The dealer has been very good, and to date, we've had no problems whatsoever. We expect to be able to push this to 35 MPG by the end of the summer.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage. Fold flat 60/40 back seats. Excellent, stable platform.

Suggested Improvements

Main, basic, display panel is insufficient and hard to use. Display is difficult to see in twilight. Configuration is a bid hard for a smaller person to use, as the console between the front seats becomes unusual. Cup holders are in an awkward spot.