Used 2005 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Disappointed in this vehicle
By LuckyDL

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this SUV for the gas mileage and I have not been disappointed, I travel all over DC every day and this SUV is perfect for it. However it is the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever driven. The distance from the steering wheel to the back rest is uncomfortable. The cup holder is not convenient in the least bit. I load alot of things in the back, especially early in the morning - there is no light back there, can't see a thing! I HATE the noise that goes off when you don't buckle your seatbelt, (if I want to buckle I will). Drivers seat is hard and uncomfortable. This care zooms around DC with the greatest of ease and for that and for the mileage I am grateful.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and maneuverability, plus the interior is spacious, especially when you put the seats down.

Suggested Improvements

Who came up with the idea that you need to remove the headrests on the three seats in the back in order to lower the seats? What do you do with them then? They have been in my office for two months!

Driving an SUV
By Violet Brooks

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like the size of the SUV, the gas mileage and it is SO MUCH fun to drive

Favorite Features

Good size.

Suggested Improvements

Better roof rack - sturdier.

Build better
By Cathy

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Escape but the only thing I don't like is the cheap interior. The fan knobs break easy and I think they should use a higher quality material.

Suggested Improvements

I think they should use a higher quality material.

Top over quality
By Gary

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Find that the preformance and response could be improved. I found that overall the Escape was reliable and easy to handle on long trips, however I was a bit disappointed with the gas economy and the under sized gas tank required frequent fill ups. The Ford Escape was able to stay with other autos on the highway. I also noticed some road noise that could be a bit distracting I also discovered the rear wiper does not always clean the rear window in cold weather but streaks leaving gaps in the window uncleaned.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank, better economy on highway, and town. Reduce road noise.

Wonderful
By PBGrl88

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really love our little suv. It's better on gas then the regular SUV's and it just fits better. I'm not as nervous about hitting something because it's in a blind spot.

Favorite Features

I love the fact that when you look from the outside it seems to be so small. When you open it up it has plenty of leg room. Nothing like a Jeep. Putting baby seats in is so much easier than with a Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

I would just like to see the materials for the interior look more expensive but stay relatively the same in price.