Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Gas Tank
By jerod

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently switched from a 2003 Explorer to the 05 Escape and although I really loved and miss the Explorer, I think the Escape is great. The only thing that really pisses me off every time is when the gas hose shuts off. I should be able to start the gas and walk away. I live in Wisconsin. It's cold. Come on! Other than that I love it :)

The towing kit I put on it.

Make it come with a towing kit. I have a boat and camper.

Overall a nice little SUV
By Gpowers

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the wife's car, not mine. We had it since new. Dislikes, no power passenger seat, no compass or outside temp display, Uncomfortable seats everywhere except driver. Bad design on heated seats switch placement and function (can't see light, no temperature control, turns on accidentally) , poor placement of cruise on switch(on steering wheel, accidentally gets turned off), noisy tires at road speed. V6 gets buzzy when in second and delivers less than stellar mileage (19 City, 21 Hwy). Great vehicle in snow and reliable as a rock. Wife loves it. I'm not as impressed. I hope Ford addressed these issues in future versions. Only problem was front brakes at 39K which is maintenance.

AWD, V6, nice optional stereo, air bags & curtains, high driving position, Great visibility, Excellent roadability other than noisy at speed.

Make heated seats temp adjustable and put switch on dash or in console. Fix noisy tires. Add power to passenger's seat. Make back seats more comfortable. Add the compass and outside temp gauge like any other SUV's top model

Don't bother with the base 4 cylinder
By bsumorgan

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I got a job where I needed to carry stuff for work and I also needed to haul our small family around in the winter. The ford escape seemed like a perfect fit. It drove well enough, but the 4 cylinder is just plain lethargic. At low gears it's all right, but in second and third, well, you had better not be making emergency maneuvers. The arm rests are hard and unforgiving. I didn't like the position of the seats relative to the floor. The 4WD, however, was FANTASTIC! I could drive like a complete idiot on snow and ice, and it didn't matter. Ford AWD is much better than the AWD that I had in the Saturn Vue I bought after owning this. My advice: get the nicer trim level with the 6 cyl and 4wd.

4wd

Sound system is pretty poor on the base model. Mileage was disappointing with the 4cyl. Why bother with it?

Nice truck
By SUVguy

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in October of 04 with 13,000 miles on it. Thus far only one major repair which was the ignition module around 40,000 miles. Other than that just normal wear and tear (water pump, serpentine belt etc). Overall very pleased with the performance and reliability. Just hit the 110,000 mile mark.

Leather interior, power seats, windows and roof.

Gas mileage is horrible. I'm lucky if I get 15 miles to the gallon. "AWD all the time".

Bad Plugs
By Bill

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

For the first five years car has been great. Not happy with interior. Upholstery wearing out much to soon. What really steams me is that at 38000 miles the plugs, coils and power module have just gone out. With this mileage I can't believe it. I have been a loyal Ford BUT!

My wife drives it more than I. But when I do I like th turning radius and the ease when it comes to parking.

Better upholstery