2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Run away fast!
By Forditaboutit on 04/19/09 15:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for only two years. It developed a problem with the spark plugs that caused it to die (momentarily) when I hit 70. A thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then the transmission went. Two thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then, just last week, a piston rod broke free and destroyed the engine. This car was less than five years old, and had less than 100,000 miles on it. Never again. I am done trying to support the domestic auto industry. I don't expect much from a car. But I certainly expect more than the Escape provided.

Great but has problems
By InspectoRob on 03/24/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We Loved our 03 xlt so we bought an 05 Limited. We missed the selector switch for AWD, but the center console and LTD amenities made up for that. Wind noise is much better. Still has the annoying temperature problem - heater blows very hot or cool with no in-between. Fog/driving lights are better. At about 10k miles transmission would slip when gas was let up then back on while moving - Dealer said it was ok. Got worse over time. Plastic parts broke mysteriously - front wheel lip and a panel on the back hatch. The ABS module went - 100 miles after warranty. Fought with dealer and got it for reduced cost (Ford was No Help!) It just went again so we are trading today.

Great SUV
By escape guy on 03/08/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have really enjoyed our escape the last month. We got a great deal and for the money we couldn't have asked for a more useful SUV. Its great for us because where we live there isn't much room to park. We enjoy camping and the wilderness so the 4x4 will work out great for that.

Escape to Wherever you want
By rltotten on 01/09/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape brand new. I take it up in the Colorado/New Mexico Mountains skiing and snowboarding. I love the space and gas mileage. 26 MPG avg have hit 28 mpg once. I wish this vehicle had daytime driving lights and better cup holders in the center console. The gas filing thing that others wrote about is true, Ford needs to change this design. I've flattened the rear seats and have hauled over a 1000 lbs of patio pavers at a time. This is a fun vehicle to drive and knock on wood I have had no major repairs to date. The seats do stain easy but also clean up just as easy. I would purchase another Escape no problem.

Great SUV
By bill lee on 12/08/08 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looked far and wide for a 4 cyl/5 speed FWD. This is a great drivetrain. Have gotten 31 MPG several times. Overall I get 28+MPG on my mostly highway commute. Snow is no problem with FWD. I run good snow tires and have had no problems even in deep snow. Not as good as my old jeep but never got stuck. Get the 05 and up vs the 04 if you can. Much better interior design and the bigger 2.3 motor gives better performance and fuel milage. Looked at the Toyota and Honda, but were much more expensive and much smaller. My son is 6'3" and fits in the back with no problems. Also no $300-500 timing belt to worry about on these cars. Has been very reliable. 60,000 miles and no problems what so ever.

Love it!
By Billabongguy on 11/18/08 18:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape when i was thinking about buying a Kia Sorrento. I decided on the Escape because it had better creature comforts, nicer interior, and a lot more power! That little 3.0 with 220hp is fast responsive and I love it. I love the Mach audio system with the sub in the back. It thumps hard.

Mixed feelings
By Dwayne C on 11/01/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We started having transmission problems at 20,000 miles. It would shift hard at around 40 MPH.We took it in (not at purchasing dealership)about ten times before they finally changed the transmission. I argued with the transmission mechanic that it was not right.They tried something different each time it was brought in. They adjusted the linkage, changed the spark plugs, changed the radiator, new torque converter, etc before changing the transmission. By this time the warranty was off and they wanted me to pay for it. After lots of arguing the dealer helped cover the cost above what Ford payed.There was 30,000 miles on the vehicle by the time this was done. Been running good ever since.

Lease be gone..yee haw!
By marsan5 on 09/28/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We just finished our lease on this SUV. Pro's are lots of cargo space, zippy around town and easy to drive. Con's are brakes not designed well for rural use, rotors and brakes non stop getting fixed, AWD got locked on one day on pavement. Bit of a gas pig. We had cloth seats and they stained if you looked at them! Three kids in the back is too crammed up. The door sills are too high, trapping mud and snow in like crazy. Cheap interior. The nerf bars stink in snow as they bottom you out, and when driving AWD when you get stuck, you are stuck!

Practical Car
By Adam Grey on 09/23/08 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Even though I would have liked to get something a little sexier, this car is as practical of car you can get. Having it be a stick shift helped make the car fun to drive and also allowed for better acceleration than most standard V6 cars. Never did I have one mechanical issue in the 68,000 miles that I drove it and it really does excellent on gas being it is a 4 banger. I think if you buy this car you will get a bargain as if this had a Toyota symbol on it it would be $5,000 more! I believe this car is a smart buy for those who are concerned about fuel economy, cargo space, and price.

Stay Away From 2005 Ford Escape
By txm on 09/16/08 08:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cylinder engine in this car is extremely underpowered. It's especially worse in the summer when the air conditioning is on, then it becomes unsafe to drive, because when you need to accelerate, it just doesn't do anything for about 3-4 seconds and trying to accelerate when necessary would probably kill you in this vehicle. Also, the engine is very noisy, sounds like diesel engine. I have 60,000 miles on it. The fuel economy is terrible. I can't get any more than 20 mpg, not matter what I do. Stay away from this car.