2005 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
My Escape is Awesome
By vietnam71 on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive, comfortable for my 6'2" frame. Very little engine or road noise. The V6 has the power you need to get up and go when needed. I test drove the CRV and Liberty and they don't hold a candle to the Escape.

Great SUV for the money
By ddelpo on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV is ideal for handleing and function. I am getting older and find this a great vehicle to get around in. This is my 6th Ford Vehicle, just love them. Ford Stands by their products.

Ford Escape - Skip this one
By gomar on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Ford Escape is the least reliable new car we've ever owned (we've bought plenty new). It has been back at the dealer at least once a month on average since we bought it. It is been repaired more often than my old Subaru. Not all of it is Ford's fault - it started with the Firestone tire fiasco. There have been no life threatening failures, but the car has continuous problems.

Initial Impressions
By Bulwark102 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased a fully loaded 2005 Escape Limited 4x4. The early 2005 was purchased $350 over invoice. My first impression is this is a solid and good looking vehicle. The engine is powerful and responsiveness is acceptable, but I found other vehicles I test drove (such as the Honda CR-V) were a bit more agile. The engine is loud at higher RPMs and the automatic transmission feels sluggish as it searches and engages the next gear. I feel very comfortable with the interior styling, indicators and controls. I will follow-up after my first 10K miles.

Affordable performance and room
By John Engelmann on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect size for single person or couple with two or less children. A lot of space for the price. Handles well and has sufficient power for the smooth shifting 5 speed manual transmission under the power of the 4 cyl engine. The 4 cyl engine in that vast engine compartment puts everything in easy accessible reach. All controls are straight-forward and well-located. Great fuel economy for a vehicle of that size. This car was enough to get me to reconsider my 14 years straight of VW purchases.

Best for your money
By gaa9021 on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With all the extra features and comfort package it feels like I'm driving a luxury vehicle without the heavy ticket sale. I highly recommend it for young buyers and those with economic sense.

THIS IS WHAT I CALL A SUV
By DAVID2389 on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 3 kids, and we espend a lot of time in the highway. thats why i buyed the ford scape. whith this truck I feel like I want to go outside more and more.

awesome
By AfroMn31 on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

it is awesome and when i went through mud it felt like i was goin through the best thing ever

04 XLT 4X4
By denman on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice vehicle for the size. Not too big or too small.

Go Escape
By Roberto (Bobby) on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This is a superb auto in every way. It is a spacious SUV yet gets excellent gas mileage. The seats are comfortable & high enough to see the rosd, & provide solid support for the back. Reliability has been tops. Recommend this vihicle over all others in its class!