Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

My second Escape
By Kevin

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Ford Escape. I purchased my first Escape in 2001. I drove it for 4 years until I upgraded to my 2005. I have noticed small but effective changes. First is the power. It's quick on the take off and the engine is much quieter than the earlier models. I love the changes to the front with the more sporty head lights. The seats were not as comfortible as my '01 Escape but I added lumbar support and heated seats and that cleared up the comfort problem. I love the interior trim with its easy layout of the controls. I also added an after market Kenwood Excelon DvD/MP3/CD/Navigation system. It looks like it came from the factory. I am very proud to be an Escape owner!

Favorite Features

Sporty Headlights. Smooth ride and quiet engine. Easy to use controls and sporty interior look.

Suggested Improvements

I did not find the front driver seat to be confortable, but after adding lumbar support, it made the seat more ease to use. I would like to see the auto door lock feature like most cars have today when you place the car in drive. Finally, the cup holders in the center concole need to be redesigned.

Mine was built on Friday
By Justanotherfordguy

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is fun to drive, sure footed in snow, and a great family vehicle. But the build quality is questionable and I couldn't see this vehicle lasting more than 60k miles without a lot of repairs. My Escape has has multiple issues due to a water leak under or near the firewall. This has caused multiple electical issues from random power accessories failing, radio turning on when key is removed and turned off, wet floors, and the nice smell of mildew. Multiple trips to the dealer has yet to bring my truck back to new - so it's going to be traded in on something else - possibly an Escape. Mine was just built on Friday. :(

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, peppy Duratec V-6, kids love the step bars, and the fold down seats are great for extra storage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality. 6 disc stereo is too bassy.

Ford Escape Hybrid
By T Jaspers

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my new Escape Hybrid. The GPS Navigation system, map, icons showing when the gas engine is running, electric engine is running, both running and battery charging are really neat. It also tells you your mileage over last 15 minutes, and how many kilometers till your tank is empty. My model doesn't have automatic headlights which I miss. But its other features make up for that loss.

Favorite Features

Navigation system, style, high tech items like GPS, map layout, mileage calculation, pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic headlights. Outside temperature gauge.

Being Happy
By Ford of Ocala, Inc/B

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2005 Ford Escape is a very enjoyable unit to drive to and from work or take on a trip. It is designed to be passenger friendly. Many great options like cruise control, power seat, and a 6 pack CD player in the dash make it really enjoyable to drive. Ford, keep up your good work! Thank you again!

Favorite Features

Some of my favorite features are the size of the unit, the fold down rear seats, and the "tie downs" in the rear storage area. The audio system with the in dash 6 pack CDs is really enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

Audio and a/c controls on the steering wheel of most of the units and standard equipment; this would make it safer since the driver would not have to reach for the controls. This would allow them to keep a better eye on the road and other traffic factors. Send a suggestion letter to the customers.

Small SUV
By Matt's Review

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After driving the Ford Escape for the last month in snow and Michigan winter I realized that Ford could make a few upgrades for 2006. The 4WD system on the Escape is very limited and needs some serious improvements in my book. I bought the Escape because I need a 4WD vehicle that handles well in the snow. This vehicle is about a 5 out of 10. It basically handles like a FWD car and lacks the sure footing of a true SUV. I've called the dealership twice now to make sure that I in fact bought the 4WD model which they tell me I did. Besides the above complaints, I do like the Escape and think it is a fairly good SUV which is built with quality in mind. Handling and performance are ok.

Favorite Features

Ford quality and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Serious upgrades on the 4WD system. A full time 4WD or AWD system would be preferred to this sytem. Current system does not give the driver positive feedback or confidence.