Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

DRIVING FUN
By keith

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in California and drove it back to Denver Colorado. I got 29 mpg. I drive about 30 miles one way, to and from work and get about 32 to 35 mpg. This comes from doing the math, not looking at the gauges. Not the best highway vehicle, but a great around town and country road vehicle. Highway the vehicle does not feel real stable at 75 mph, however it does have the power to handle the highways.

Favorite Features

The Nav system can be a dream when it comes to getting out of towns you don't know. It gives plenty of warning when to turn.

Suggested Improvements

Improve highway handling, a little more stability would be nice.

Not too bad for Ford's first attempt
By Camper

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living in Michigan, you get dirty looks and raised eyebrows if you don't buy American. Michigan is also very spread out, with my daily commute being 35 miles each way, mostly freeway. This SUV is just a regular 4 cylinder car at freeway speeds (70 mph), with no benefit of fuel economy. Engine sounds terrible at 70 mph. But it is great for city driving (particularly stop and go traffic). Ford says the towing capacity is only 750 lbs., which is very non-SUV like. We would not buy this again. Toyota Highlander hybrid is coming, and we are trading in the Ford for Toyota. The Toyota is much more comfortable and can tow our 1500 lb. pop up camper. So much for the eyebrows.

Favorite Features

I like the Navigation system with fuel economy display, but not for the price. Engine shuts down at traffic lights and when waiting in parking lots.

Suggested Improvements

More options (moonroof, puddle lights, 6 cylinder hybrid) and heavier towing capacity.

Go Anywhere
By ecila5200

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first winter driving experience with the 2005 Ford Escape and I couldn't ask for a safer drive. We get a lot of snow here in Newfoundland and winter driving can take its toll on some vehicles. But the Ford Escape came through with flying colors.

Favorite Features

Not having to switch to 4 wheel drive. Lots of leg room and head room - big enough to carry 5 passengers comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

Light switch controls from the front panel would be nice instead of having to reach behind you overhead to turn on internal lights.

'05 Hybrid
By W. Snippe

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have over 1000 kilometers on my hybrid now and am on my second tank of gas. Performance is excellent and mileage is good but not as high as advertised. The CVT takes getting used to as does the electric drive, but both work flawlessly. Very pleased with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Reasonable sized vehicle with good performance and good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Bun warmer seats, auto climate control, auto dimming mirrors.

The Best SUV
By ALYSIA

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV handles great. The interior is nice and comfortable. Great car to take on a long trip. Excellent stereo system. It comes with an 8 inch amp and 6 cd changer and satellite ready. Back seats lay completely down for a large cargo area. All in all the best vehicle I have ever purchased.

Favorite Features

Stereo system and comfortable interior.