Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Not Bad
By Sal

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just got my Escape a couple weeks ago. I noticed it was a louder ride then expected. Engine noise is a bit much but turning up the radio does help, lol. The ride is a bit stiff but it does say truck on the sticker. Getting the jack out does take some effort but I will say it has a better lug wrench then my old van. Pick up is a bit slugish but ok. It's a week old and I am not going to really romp on it yet. My biggest "not worth it" is that the factory step bars are to close to the body. They work well if putting stuff on the roof but not for a step in to it. Over all I am happy with it but time will tell.

Suggested Improvements

Move the step bar lower and away from the body. To improve storage if it's not a Hybrid, take out the pad in the back and put in a bin.

I love it
By MeganNY

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my 2005 Ford Escape. I did a lot of reserch on compact SUVs and the Escape gives me the most bang for my buck. It's easy to drive, responsive and small enough to park anywhere (even in NYC)!

Favorite Features

This car was designed very well. Everything is in arms reach for the driver.

Suggested Improvements

Louder horn, somewhere to put the head rests when folding the rear seats down; they tend to get in the way.

Nine months, 10K miles and I'm happy
By Jim In Tampa

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm very happy with my 2005 Escape XLT Sport. Mine was one of the first with just the canopy air bag and now they have the side seat and canopy air bags. Great handling. Quick. A little thirsty. Back seat is very comfortable with the stadium type seating. The seat fabric can be irritating after a few hours of travel. Mine arrived with a non-functioning 6 disk radio. I can't believe that the factory AND dealership didn't notice that before it left the showroom. But it was replaced and no problems since then. I know it's been recalled, but I haven't received a notice yet from Ford.

Favorite Features

I like the console, floor shifter, the seats (front and rear), handling, quickness, quietness, the simplicity of the radio system and the capacity of the cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like more power if the gas mileage is going to be like it is. The fabric on the seats is annoying. Disk brake dust on front wheels is horrible. Black plastic trim on the exterior has questionable longevity. And one more outlet in the front seat would be nice.

"Fordecito" Ford Escape
By John Lucas

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. Plenty of room and comfort, and the handling is terrific for what it is. Hertz gave me one in Chicago. I drove it 600 miles, city and intersate, came back to Southampton and immediately traded in my Cadillac for my Fordecito.

Favorite Features

Agility. Nice, tight handling and small turning radius. No drag racer, but plenty of power when you need it.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage. Bigger gas tank. Automatic temperature control.

Versatile Vehicle
By palms911

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape last September and have been pleased with it. It really does handle like a car, but offers the beef of a true SUV when you need it. I like the looks as well, inside and out. I have the leather seats and they are comfortable, especially on the lower back.

Favorite Features

Computerized AWD is nice; never have to worry about putting the vehicle into 4WD. The six-CD changer is great and for a smaller SUV it has a lot of room for storage and for hauling things.

Suggested Improvements

I'll echo others here: gas capacity and mileage. Both leave a lot to be desired. The glove box design is difficult at times and while I like the white background on the instruments, I do not like the green light that illuminates them at night.