Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape Well Developed for the Long Run
By Richard

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive long distances in my business and appreciate the comfort and utility of the Escape. I also drive in very hot climates of the Southwest and the air conditioner is outstanding. Picking up speed with the air conditioner on at speed is extremely satisfactory. I would recommend the vehicle to anyone; new buyers, young buyers, buyers that want to be able to carry the golf clubs everywhere as I do, or senior citizens.

Favorite Features

For a vehicle that is economical, I love the roominess of both the back seat and the carry on capacity for luggage, golf clubs, and groceries/shopping items.

Exceeded expectations
By Dave

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I were hoping to pay off our 2002 Jetta, until mechanical issues began cropping up. I decided against sinking a large chunk of change to pay it off, and buy new again. Test drove larger SUV's (4Runner, Pathfinder). I really wanted a Honda Pilot. I loved the ride and handling. Reality set in, and we opted for a smaller SUV because of price. It was between the CR-V and Escape. We bought the Ford because of rebates, discounts and pleasurable buying experience from dealer, and it's grown on me more and more each day. Very surprised by the amount of room, power, and handling.

Favorite Features

Lots of room and cargo capacity. Good power from V6. Steering feel. Very supportive seats. Comfortable ergonomics for driver.

Suggested Improvements

Typical Ford drivetrain vibrations. My F150 had same gas pedal "buzz" at certain speeds. Lacks drivetrain smoothness of Honda CR-V. Needs a larger gas tank/better mileage. If Honda Pilot can get 17/22 with more room and 255bhp, Escape should be better. Climate control knobs feel flimsy and cheap.

It is fun to drive it!
By L.Castillo

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For starters it's the first time I don't see the car I am driving all over! It's unique since I got a rare exterior color one. Unlike Priuses that are all over it seems. But in what matters, it is still an SUV. I fit inside and I am a big guy, and uphill, it does NOT cower. True, one has to learn how to drive all over again, not be heavy on the gas or the brakes. There is assistance there that was not available before. What I cannot understand is why Ford is not gearing that Kansas plant to produce more of these babies. Until Toyota brings out the Highlander (overpriced if you ask me) they had the market for themselves! I love it, period! p.s. I have THE red one.

Favorite Features

The looks. It looks sharp!

Suggested Improvements

Like all Fords, the interior detailing could be improved. The screen on the satellite navigation always gets the comment: "why that small?" although I say it is fine. As usual the INTELLIGENCE behind the navigation is, well, artificial. If you know the best way; follow your brain.

Glad I waited
By Dennis

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV. Went for the 4 cylinder. Great on gas, over 22 mpg average. Extremely comfortable ride, easy to manage in traffic. Interior well designed, a real joy to drive. All the creature comforts of a sedan with the storage and security of a 4 wheel drive. Lots of leg room in the back. Really hugs the wet and snowy roads. Best vehicle I ever owned in 41 years of driving.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

The white background on the speedometer and tach but not the fuel and temp gauges looks funny.

Hybrid SUV -- Feels Like Cheating
By Bullwinkle

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I simply love my Escape Hybrid. I have all the room I need for the wife, 2 kids, and the dog in the back, and yet I regularly get fuel economy close to 30 mpg average per tank.

Favorite Features

The hybrid is amazing. It's also roomy, and the stereo is lovely.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it were a bit more high-tech. Bluetooth, better navigation, and a towing package would be great.