Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

You need an Escape too!
By Iona Escape

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Escape. It handles well, seats are very comfortable on long rides, and short ones too! It handles very well in the snow and I didn't even purchase the 4-wheel drive feature. The 6-CD feature is very convenient for listening to audiobooks -you don't have to switch after every CD is done. Put the first 6 in and enjoy the story. The hatchback is very easy to use - lightweight, easy to close. The back seat could use some extra leg room, but is a comfortable ride otherwise. The fog lights are awesome, my old vehicle had fog lights - you couldn't see a difference - these are very bright. Other than the expensive fill-up these days, I'm very pleased I chose my Escape.

6-CD player in the dash and the optional moon roof I chose.

Cruise control needs marker lights, and different placement of the buttons - I keep accidentally cutting it off. The moon roof is complicated - I prefer simple open and close, but this one is hard to operate, and too easy to open by mistake when reaching for the dome light buttons.

Love my Escape
By Guru21

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 2003 F150 and was afraid I wouldn't like getting something a bit smaller, but I love the Escape. My wife and I just got married and wanted something to help build our family in. It's perfect. Plenty of room and plenty of potential for cargo space. Handles great and drives like a dream. We couldn't be happier.

Cargo capacity, fog lights, luggage rack, CD player (always a must), power everything.

Should have waited for the Hybrid
By Jeanette

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the '05 XLS mainly because I'm a tall woman with back problems (thanks to Army). I wanted something that wouldn't eat that much gas and safer than my '97 Saturn was for my children. I love driving it, I can jump curves and I'm able to drive it almost like a Humvee. I should have shelled out the extra money though for a V6, so that I wouldn't have to floor it when I'm passing someone. Overall I like but I should have waited until the Hybrid came out so that I could save more money on gas.

Pretty much everything; I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to features in a vehicle, I don't need all of the extras.

I don't like the clunky plastics everywhere, and I can never get comfortable in the seat (still bothers my back). I also would like a quieter interior.

Michigan based company finally makes one
By Su

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car back in October '04. While I personally think it should be getting at least 30 MPG, the 26 and above that I am getting with it is acceptable. It does take time to learn to drive to get the better millage, so I'm giving myself time. The handling and quietness of the ride is terrific. The car always has the power available when or if I need it.

I do like the larger, safer feeling of the Ford Escape. While the idea of "side air bags" sounded foolish to me at first, it makes more sense as I hear about more rollovers and other problems.

I do wish that a Ford Escape Hybrid was recommended to pull a load so that I could put a camper behind it.

Survives a crash well
By RST

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Was broad sided with seats belt on and unit was totaled and only had broken wing bone and some broked ribs. Unit was still running after being dumped on both side with extensive damage - went out and purchased another of same.. Ok, it was a different color.

Snappy.

Always looking for more mileage but not bad for power available.